Work trip

Travels and adventures.
SMan

Work trip

Post by SMan »

My last few trips have been over to the eastern part of Washington (4 hrs away) working on a new home for friends that were burned out in last years wildfires. They bought a large pole building on 10 acres with a 4 bedroom house inside the shop. I can even park inside!! In the morning I am taking off to finish things up on the interior so they can get moved in. The Chinook is all loaded up with materials and carpenter tools, compressor, chop saw, etc. Its amazing how much stuff I have crammed in it.

This is whats left of their old place

This is the new place

Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Work trip

Post by Scott »

Sorry for their loss. Envious of that hangar! Holy cow.

Where/how did you load all your tools? I’ve had a good bit of lumber loaded in my coach, but nothing in terms of large, heavy tools/machines. Any secrets? Or, dare I ask, pics??
1994 Premier
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Now that's my idea of a house! (Except 1 bedroom would be fine.)

Be interesting to hear how the tools are arranged in the Chinook.

In my '99 I made the passenger seat removable (with appropriate mods so the airbag system still works properly with the seat in or out - not that that's a concern prior to 1997). When the seat is out I have a box that bolts into the seat bolts and has three sides and a top (the side facing the passenger door is open). I load up my tools through the passenger door (into the open side of the box), and also a few in the foot space ahead of the box, and some stuff in the stepwell.

The top of the box has ~2" fiddles and I keep maps and travel snacks, etc. there when driving.

This puts the tools right by a door (those are in short supply on our rigs!), the weight in a good place, and corrals them as well.

Of course this only works on solo travels. But in five minutes I can remove the box and have the seat back in place, just like it was never gone (course then the tools get kicked out :D).
1999 Concourse
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

Sweet home. This is what I want when I retire: http://www.doityourselfrv.com/youll-lov ... rking-rig/
'02 Concourse where there's always a project going on...
SMan

Post by SMan »

Returned from my trip this morning. Sorry I didn't think of taking pictures of the Chinook crammed with tools as it was quite a sight. I was doing mostly finish work with some other odds and ends on the interior of what they call their "Shouse" (Shop/house). I've been a carpenter for most of my working life and worked out of my Jeep Wrangler and a utility trailer renovating foreclosed homes for the last 10 years prior to retiring from the trades so I learned how to be very compact.

For smaller power tools I use large soft sided tool bags like you can get at Lowes. For my hand tools I use 5 gallon buckets with the canvas tool liners. I have switched some over to the rectangular Costco dishwasher detergent buckets. They do much better in the Chinook especially under the dinette. The well in the back closet works good for long clamps and levels. I took counter tops and lumber which I stood up against the couch held in place with a few buckets. (They supplied base board on site) Instead of my large compound miter saw I packed a smaller 10" inch chop saw which was loaded last and placed on the floor in the kitchen area along with my pancake compressor. Wish I could have fit a table saw but got by with a skill saw and a clamping straight edge. (I would have loved to have my larger shop tools but made do). Among the power tools packed were: Skillsaw, multiple cordless drills, corded 1/2" drill, routers, biscuit jointer, jig saw, oscillating saw, finish and brad nailers, sawzall, and associated chargers. Although I made compromises everything went well. I was able to access the bathroom by getting out and walking around to the back. Oh yes the bathroom was also utilized for a few buckets. Lot of blankets were used to protect the couch and keep the rattles down. It was packed! If I planned to do this often I would utilize my utility trailer.

I am glad I could help them. I couldn't imagine starting over like they have had to.
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Great detail, thanks. Bad luck they have to start over, but good luck they have you for a friend!
SMan wrote: The well in the back closet works good for long clamps and levels.
Indeed! Mine has my large aluminum square, a big lug crimper, a rivnut tool, and some galvanized sheet stock. Who says closets should have flat, one-level floors? :lol:
1999 Concourse
SMan

Post by SMan »

Blue~Go wrote:Great detail, thanks. Bad luck they have to start over, but good luck they have you for a friend!
Thanks Blue. I've known them for almost 40 years.

Here is a pic of about half of the tools I took....

Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10