Chinook RV Forum

It is currently September 22nd, 2017, 8:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: August 14th, 2016, 6:03 pm 

My wife and I just returned from a delightful three week trip through the Atlantic Provinces, Gaspe Peninsula, and northern Maine. The Gaspe and northern Maine (and by that I mean NORTH...above Bangor) are particularly beautiful if you like north woods/mountains/rivers/lakes/and oceans.

We circumvented the Gaspe, staying at the Lac Cascapedia campground in Gaspe National Park, and the Forillon National Park. Campsites 10 and 11 at Lac Cascapedia are particularly spectacular water sites where you can leave your canoe or kayak at the water's edge...like having your own private lake front property! The canoeing, fishing, and hiking are terrific. And talk about a remote campground--we crossed paths with a friendly (thankfully) mother moose and her skittish adolescent calf on our way to dump garbage one evening! Doesn't get much better than this. Could easily stay a week. And the hiking in Forillon along ocean and mountain paths is breathtaking. Don't miss the 4 km hike out to the tip.

On the way home (Boston), we took our time going through real northern Maine...Baxter, Moosehead Lake areas. Peaks-Kenny State Park is another little gem...every site is nicely wooded from its neighbors, the lake has all undeveloped shoreline that begs exploring by canoe, and there is a great beach for swimming with tables in the woods along the shore for hanging out and picnicking. On Moosehead Lake, Lily Bay State Park is also beautiful with lots of waterfront sites. I swear, State Parks across the country are the jewels of America.
David

background-color: #C1CAD2

PostPosted: August 14th, 2016, 6:21 pm 

Just reading it, I can imagine it. Sounds fantastic. I spent some time in Maine working one summer and took a side trip up to Quebec City through those "real north" areas inland. Pretty neat. I had read the book "We Took to The Woods," by Louise Dickinson Rich when I was younger, so it was neat going near her family's home patch (they lived in that area in the 1930's, way out in the bush on a river).

Any photos would be most welcome.

PostPosted: August 15th, 2016, 1:16 pm 

My wife, Deborah, is the primary chronicler (both photo and written) of our trips...but I commit to going through her pics and will endeavor to post some of the more evocative shots. Stay tuned.

David

PostPosted: August 15th, 2016, 6:40 pm 

Blue-Go...as per your request, here are some pics of our recent trip through northern Maine and the Gaspe.
...listening to CNN and MSNBC for a bit this evening almost caused us to re-stock the frig and head back out again! Too bad my wife has a job she is still enjoying.

Attachments:
Cliffs in Forillon NP.JPG
Cliffs in Forillon NP.JPG [ 1.54 MiB | Viewed 319 times ]
Campsite in Gaspe NP.JPG
Campsite in Gaspe NP.JPG [ 189.09 KiB | Viewed 319 times ]
Around Perce south shore.JPG
Around Perce south shore.JPG [ 991.89 KiB | Viewed 319 times ]
PostPosted: August 15th, 2016, 6:43 pm 

Looks like I could only send three pics at a time...here are three more.

Attachments:
Peaks-Kenny State Park.JPG
Peaks-Kenny State Park.JPG [ 117.08 KiB | Viewed 319 times ]
Ocean hike Forillon NPJPG.JPG
Ocean hike Forillon NPJPG.JPG [ 3.94 MiB | Viewed 319 times ]
Ocean campground north shore GaspeJPG.JPG
Ocean campground north shore GaspeJPG.JPG [ 81.65 KiB | Viewed 319 times ]
PostPosted: August 15th, 2016, 7:29 pm 

Thank you for taking the time. I especially liked the first one (Forillon,) the Gaspe campsite (because it shows your Chinook all nestled in), and the Perce south shore because the rocks are so unique, and it gives a glimpse of a small village.

I seem to do this thing where for some reason I start wanting to get home; then when I get there I'm all "Wait, why??" Maybe some weird force of human nature.

Of course there is always the fun of planning and getting ready for the next trip!

BG

PS: Yes there is a three image limit to each post. So I just do what you did which is "reply to myself" and add more each time.