Sonker Festival Lowgap, Nc

Travels and adventures.
Skillet

Sonker Festival Lowgap, Nc

Post by Skillet »

Found something called a Sonker festival in North Carolina. Sounded interesting so I took the drive down. It's basically an old fashion way of making pie. When the berries were all picked and they had extra, they would make a deep dish pie with the leftover berries. This little festival sold slices in a cup and I guess was raising money. It was only a 100 people or so but I imagined this was what life was like back in the 18oo's. All the locals gathered together and knew each other and listened to some good bluegrass music while sitting around in front of a community building. I felt a little like an outsider but I enjoyed myself. Through BoondockersWelcome I stayed in a site close by, literally just a stone's throw from the Blue Ridge Parkway. Nice and cool at night and no city lights. I've never seen so many stars before and even saw the Milky Way. The nice old ladies were very kind and even sent me on my way the next morning with a bag full of homemade cookies.
Attachments
20161001_175707.jpg
20161001_135305.jpg
20161001_134428.jpg
Last edited by Skillet on October 4th, 2016, 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'02 Concourse where there's always a project going on...
Blue~Go

Re: Wonder Festival Lowgap, Nc

Post by Blue~Go »

You find the most unique places/festivals -- and the way you describe them it's like being there. Cool!
1999 Concourse