We just returned from our first RV trip

Travels and adventures.
Blue~Go

Re: We just returned from our first RV trip

Post by Blue~Go »

Scott wrote:Yeah, I can talk about mods all day long :lol: . Peoples' eyes start to glaze over sometimes...
Not mine :D And I bet that holds for a few others here as well. Bring it on! (I say.)

Scott wrote:The skylight is just great. I absolutely love it. Thanks for the idea! I can have all the curtains drawn for privacy and still get natural light in the rig, and I can see stars at night. It really provides a feeling of greater spaciousness. And when I want it blocked (hot days, high noon), I have a piece of 1/2 inch rigid foam that squeezes in easy peasy. Zero downside. In fact, I think I want to make it bigger.
That's just about what I'd say for mine. I LOVE it. Especially with the Concourse's side windows being fairly tinted. That's great for privacy with people walking around outside, but adding the natural light of the (clear) skylight just makes the rig, to me.

I was worried about it being too hot, but it hasn't been too much of a problem. Yes, there were days in mid-summer (when sun is at high angle) that I didn't want that heat coming in, or the "square of bright sun." Like you, I friction fit a piece of rigid foam, and by leaving that in for the mid part of the day all was fine. Nine months of the year it's a non issue because the sun really isn't overhead (and during the other three months I strive for shade, but of course don't always get it). And yes, looking out at the stars at night is great (I can see them out the big side window too, but again, that's tinted). And I also like it when I need to have the curtains closed for some reason.

My fallback was/is to put in a Bomar marine hatch. High quality ocean-worthy hatch that has about 90% as much open glass area as the skylight. Plus opens (to vent heat). But, there is only ONE model that fits a 14" square hole (since that's an RV size not a boat size), and it'd be like $350. So I keep it on the "if I need it" list. Or of course a typical RV roof vent would fit right in, but I like the "wide open spaces" of the full 14" square of clear "glass."

Anyway, great to hear how yours has worked out for you.
1999 Concourse
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Re: We just returned from our first RV trip

Post by Scott »

Blue~Go wrote: Bring it on! (I say.)
Hey, whatever you want to ask, by all means feel free. I would love to contribute something around here; it's a great group. I have a couple hundred hours of work into this thing, and lots more to do (this carpet is a stone in my shoe, ugh). The most important thing (to me) is to actually use the darn thing and get out there and camp. The hobby of making tweaks/improvements can spiral quickly, so I have to contain myself sometimes.
Blue~Go wrote:My fallback was/is to put in a Bomar marine hatch. High quality ocean-worthy hatch that has about 90% as much open glass area as the skylight. Plus opens (to vent heat). But, there is only ONE model that fits a 14" square hole (since that's an RV size not a boat size), and it'd be like $350. So I keep it on the "if I need it" list. Or of course a typical RV roof vent would fit right in, but I like the "wide open spaces" of the full 14" square of clear "glass."

Anyway, great to hear how yours has worked out for you.
Bomar marine hatch? We need a drooling smiley. Please don't tempt me! Those hatches are primo, but $350 will get me a lot of other stuff. The skylight I have now cost me peanuts, and is perfectly adequate as long as I don't dance on it. But almost everything "marine grade" is pretty sweet... I would love a boat-style mini wood stove, but can't stomach cutting a hole in my roof ..
1994 Premier