Oregon Trail

Travels and adventures.
retiredtim

Oregon Trail

Post by retiredtim »

Hope to get out end of April or beginning of May (if we can dig out of all this snow) to do the Oregon Trail. Does anyone have any info or suggestions? What to see or do? We will be leaving from New Hampshire for a couple of months or so.
retiredtim

Re: Oregon Trail

Post by retiredtim »

Just got back from my Oregon Trail trip. Anyone interested in seeing the birthplace of your Chinook (Yakima, Wa)?
Attachments
SAM_5382.JPG
SMan

Post by SMan »

Hope you had a great trip. Nice picture. Hopefully you found the "Miner Burger" joint while you were there.

I spent a lot of time at the Yakima Firing Center while in the Army and am familiar with the area. The old factory was a Coca Cola warehouse the last time I was there. I remember as a little kid from Washington seeing the Chinook campers, class A, and other products they produced. They were plentiful around here. I have a high school friend who still has a Chevy Suburban that had a Trail Wagons conversion done in the 90's as well.
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Nifty! On both the Oregon Trail trip, and the Trail Wagons details. I remember seeing ads for the Chinook campers that went on the back of Chevy Blazers.
1999 Concourse
retiredtim

Post by retiredtim »

Sman,
Didn't know about burger joint or would have stopped. This was on the trip back to New Hampshire, attempted to follow the Lewis & Clark trail with some side excursions to Mt Rainer, Glacier Nat Park, Upper Mich Peninsular and then thru Canada. If anyone wants to try and follow the Oregon Trail, it was a little discouraging as a lot of the trail on private land and the documentation has been plowed under.
Beaver

Post by Beaver »

You might want to consult "The Oregon Trail: A New American Journey" by Rinker Buck. The paperback edition was just released.

https://www.amazon.com/Oregon-Trail-New ... egon+trail

It's Buck's account of the trip he and his brother took a couple of years ago to recreate traveling the Oregon Trail. They did it the old fashioned way with a wagon and mules, following the old trail as closely as possible. Following the trail is something I've considered. I was born and raised in the town where the Buck brothers begin the trail, and I've made Oregon my home for the last 37 years.

However, rather than slavishly following the old trail, I think I would try to visit some of the major mileposts: St. Joseph, MO, the Platte River, Chimney Rock in western Nebraska, Scott's Bluff on the Nebraska-Wyoming line, Independence Rock in Wyoming, Rocky Ridge and the continental divide, the Mormon Trail, the Snake River canyon, and the Oregon Trail museum in Baker City, OR. That's where the Buck brothers ended their recreation of the trip (the rest is freeway to Portland), and it's where you could branch off for visits to landmarks like Yakima, or other locations in the Pacific Northwest. There's a lot to see out here.
Beaver
'98 Concourse