Zen in the City of Rocks

Travels and adventures.
Rokrover

Zen in the City of Rocks

Post by Rokrover »

I had read “Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance” decades ago hoping to learn more about mechanics but was too inexperienced then to understand the deeper meaning. The recent passing of Robert Pirsig set a more philosophical frame of mind to appreciate serene places conducive to meditation.

Our Chinook is now outfitted to more minimalist standards, not quite as spartan as a tent strapped to a motorcycle perhaps but with concession to comfort in later years. All systems are fully debugged at just over 46,000 miles so the rig hums along unobtrusively with fewer potential distractions.

City of Rocks State Park in New Mexico features curious pillars of rocks exposed in the sweeping plain south of Silver City. The landscape reminds me of Hanging Rock in Australia, the venue for Peter Weir’s 1975 film about a mysterious disappearance shrouded in mystical overtones.

Our prior visit several years ago was focused on physical activities with rocks to be explored, summits to be scaled and of course schedules to be maintained. Now we were content to just absorb and photograph nature. This experience was facilitated by the Chinook being nimble enough to nestle in one of the secluded sites between rock pillars.

The stone pillars have moods that change with the lighting. The best experience was pre dawn in the heart of the rocks listening to the hoot of a resident great horned owl while shooting stars streaked overhead in the clear sky.

Later we continued north on 61 for brunch at the 3 Questions Coffehouse near San Lorenzo where I noticed a patron wearing the famous Zen inscription from the Ryōan-ji temple "learn only to be content.” A fitting reflection on our latest journey.
Attachments
D55_0095.jpg
MRC_0985.jpg
S63_0084.jpg
Last edited by Rokrover on August 18th, 2017, 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ted C. / SW Arizona
"The Blue Chook" 2002 Concourse Owner: 2013-2019
Rokrover

Re: Zen in the City of Rocks

Post by Rokrover »

Owing to the 3 picture limit per post I add more here...
Attachments
Late afternoon light
Late afternoon light
Pre dawn within the rocks
Pre dawn within the rocks
The Zen inscription
The Zen inscription
Ted C. / SW Arizona
"The Blue Chook" 2002 Concourse Owner: 2013-2019
SMan

Post by SMan »

Great pics Ted. Thanks for sharing!
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Very nice. I almost felt like I was there when you described the pre-dawn with the owl hooting, the stars, etc. Thanks for the trip report, and the philosophical musings too. And the photos!
1999 Concourse