Xmas trip in the Mojave Desert

Travels and adventures.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Xmas trip in the Mojave Desert

Post by chin_k »

My family and I went to the Mojave Desert for 3 days, and visited the Hole-in-the-Wall, Amboy crator, the sand dunes, and the lava tube. I also tried to visit the Mitchell Cavern, but it was closed due to the shut down (it need reservation, but I was just want to visit and see if I can get in as walk-up). The Kelso Depot Visitor Center was also closed for the same reason, and I was not able to get the various map and info that I was hoping to get as our first stop. Thank you Mr. T.

After the disappointing start of the trip at the Kelso Depot, I decided to drive to our camp ground at Hole-in-the-Wall via the short cut. Google map shows that it is like 45 minutes, and it is a shorter alternative than the paved Kalbaker road. Well, it is pretty much sand and washboard all the way, and it took me twice as long. Thank you Google..

For the Lava Tube, a 4WD vehicle is recommended. I told my wife not to worry with our Chinook, since technically, it is driven by its four rear wheels :lol: We end up making a wrong turn when near the site, and I did not realize it. Well, we end up got stuck in the loose sand when I tried to avoid the spot where previous adventurer had to dig out their wheel. We were able to dig out and keep on driving until we realized it is not going in the right direction, and I was able to turn around without problem in the single lane dirt road.

We probably would not make this trip with the Chinook since we used to only do tent camping. I am very happy about how everything worked out with the rig.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
Blue~Go

Re: Xmas trip in the Mojave Desert

Post by Blue~Go »

Classic desert trip :D Sorry about the shut-down issues. And the Google. And the sand trap.

Glad you had fun despite the challenges (and maybe partly because of them).

Your "four wheel drive" rationale gave me a laugh :lol:
1999 Concourse
pdemarest
**Forum Contributor**

Post by pdemarest »

"I told my wife not to worry with our Chinook, since technically, it is driven by its four rear wheels."

Thanks! Whenever I take our Chinook down a sketchy unpaved road I always use that excuse - er, I mean - reasoning. Now I can tell her that "guys on the forum will back me up"!
Paul Demarest
2003 Premier V-10
Astrodokk

Post by Astrodokk »

I saw a 4X4 emblem at O'Reilly's.
I think I'm going to buy it now.
Thanks Chin!
2000 Ford E350 415CI/6.8L V-10 Triton Chinook Concourse XL Club Lounge
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Great irony points too, since duallies are basically worse than single rear wheels for traction :mrgreen:
1999 Concourse
Astrodokk

Post by Astrodokk »

Ha ha that's right. I've never had a problem over many years on any of my vehicles with duallys though. But oh, the irony!

But it's true, in physics, that the extra two wheels give it less ground pressure resulting in spin on loose surfaces. I believe that is usual for pick ups and the like.

Ours is weighted down enough in the rear that I don't worry about a spinning take off. I worry about stopping the thing!
2000 Ford E350 415CI/6.8L V-10 Triton Chinook Concourse XL Club Lounge