We sold the house and hitting the road

Real-time updates from forum members actively traveling.
Xatlatc
**Forum Contributor**

Re: We sold the house and hitting the road

Post by Xatlatc »

We’re in Albuquerque because Bugs Bunny said numerous times “ I should have turned left in Albuquerque “. Albuquerque was on my wife’s bucket list because of Bugs. We all have different buckets Doc.

BG, I believe ‘ Photo ‘ mode is default. On occasion I turn the phone sideways for a shot. I think if you just click on the photo you’ll see it correctly.

I bought an America the Beautiful pass the other day for $80.00. It should pay for itself with all the National Parks on our route.
Attachments
29E53107-6545-4B9C-8FC7-92B61A1497FA.jpeg
Oldest continuous church in the U.S.
Oldest continuous church in the U.S.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I like your itinerary reasoning :D I once passed nearby Kansas City and of course had to go find 12th Street and Vine.

I clicked on one of your photos and it got larger (what a beautiful church interior) but, alas... still sideways.

But turning the laptop sideways is a small price to pay for the trip reports - please keep them coming :)
1999 Concourse
Xatlatc
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Xatlatc »

Sorry about the photos but I’m open to suggestions. :D Remember, I’m using mobile devices only, Apple.

I am amazed of the great cell coverage out here. We went to the Very Large Array which is located 45 miles off the interstate and had great coverage there as well as where we are tonight, Valley of Fire Recreation Area near Carrizozo, NM.
The VLA has 28 radio telescopes which are moved around on train tracks for maintenance and for needs of the current study.
Valley of Fire Recreation Area is located alongside a lava flow from not too long ago compared to most flows. Electric and water on paved sites with covered picnic table, fire ring and a grill for $9.00 with my new card. The raised walkway over the lava was unique.
Off to White Sands tomorrow. Just passed 8k miles since October. Glad I’m riding a V10 and not a horse. Tip of the hat to past pioneers of this country.
Attachments
Maintenance barn
Maintenance barn
B0E14E04-F5A8-49A9-BF44-77E34E8DC051.jpeg
Best to zoom in
Best to zoom in
Xatlatc
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Xatlatc »

A computer combines the data from all 28 telescopes into a single image for the astronomers to study.
Attachments
Just happen to stop at a rest area to change drivers and realized where we were.
Just happen to stop at a rest area to change drivers and realized where we were.
6A05A972-F23D-41C7-9CAF-4AF4912308A4.jpeg
A46C0B9B-CA52-4740-ACEC-50F70E273275.jpeg
Xatlatc
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Xatlatc »

Valley of Fires Recreation Area.
Doing it while I can.
Attachments
362B64A1-8E55-4ADC-A253-E3D7B080DAA1.jpeg
Walkway over the rock
Walkway over the rock
Great little park
Great little park
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Did you watch "Contact" around the time you went to the VLA? :D

In case it's a clue (and you're interested), a few of the latest photos posted "right side up" while most of the others were sideways. I wonder if there is something different about how you took the ones that landed right-side up? Held the phone sideways (Landscape mode)? Or...?

Starting with the first VLA post, the ones that were right-side up:

First post: The last photo was right-side up
Second post: The middle photo was right-side up
Third post (Valley of Fires): None were right-side up

BTW, I tend to use Apple stuff as well, but I feel completely stymied without a laptop/keyboard :) , so I never post from a phone or pad.
1999 Concourse
Xatlatc
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Xatlatc »

BG, I believe I turned the phone sideways. I’ll try some more tomorrow as we go through Las Cruces to collect our mail in Lordsburg,NM. First time using general delivery.

Went to White Sands National Monument and attended a sunset ranger guided on the dunes. Great weather. The night skies are getting better and better.
Attachments
Took this sideways
Took this sideways
Spotted another Chinook
Spotted another Chinook
I like this shot
I like this shot
Xatlatc
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Xatlatc »

BG, Thanks for the general delivery tip about using a small town with one post office. Worked like a charm.

Entered Arizona on Hwy 80 and started to notice the change in terrain. Stopped for a picture of the monument dedicated to Geronimo in Apache, Az.
Attachments
6729793C-67D8-45CA-B606-6AE36F76F514.jpeg
A6FEADA9-F3A1-44AE-BCF3-79A38E4F2F0F.jpeg
2A6FA99C-DF7C-44BF-B2CD-B598C22A795E.jpeg
Xatlatc
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Xatlatc »

I must thank forum member, Rokrover for leading us to Bisbee, Az. an old mining town with an open mine 5000 feet by 4000f and 850 feet deep called the Lavender Pit. They were mining cooper from the early 1900’s to 1974. I was lucky enough to snag a cancellation at the Queen Mine RV Park which overlooks the Pit and the town. I didn’t think I’d ever say that “ that’s a good looking sewer cover.”
I look forward to walking the streets again tomorrow.
Attachments
Large jpeg
Large jpeg
Smaller size picture
Smaller size picture
Lavender Pit in the foreground-smaller size
Lavender Pit in the foreground-smaller size
Xatlatc
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Xatlatc »

Inside the old hotel was a treat and the building on the left is the post office.
Attachments
Shoe shine chair
Shoe shine chair
Keys to the rooms
Keys to the rooms
Post Office
Post Office