Generator Issues

Everything to do with engines, options, upgrades.
Skillet

Generator Issues

Post by Skillet »

My next project isn't really my project at this point: The generator worked fine at the dealer but not much since I brought it home. It will either run for 1/2hr and die under load or just won't start at all, just crank. I've researched and done most of the usual: make sure gas is over 1/4 tank, primed before starting, researched the code it throws, and even changed spark as well as checked air filter. What I set out to do was: try to trace the gas line for leaks/tightness at fittings, change oil, change fuel filter, and just curse at it from my driveway. What's stopped me was the high heat/humidity on my days off. Over 100 heat index. I kept putting it off until I got home from my rocket launch trip. I was lucky that it was in the mid-60's at night so all I had to do was run the fan. But I know I got lucky so when I got home I took the rig to the local Onan/Cummings shop and left it with them. I hope to hear from them tomorrow when they have a chance to look at it. I told them I don't have a service history so do the standard stuff and then make it run again. Frankly, I really don't care if I have to spend the $ on a new carb, I just don't want to worry about "will it start" as I start to travel this summer.
On some level I feel that I should explore it 'cause even though I don't know much about engine mechanics, I would learn in the tinkering. On the other hand, I want it fixed asap so my free time isn't spending my breaks in the heat with a bunch of parts I can't put back together. I've told myself if anything goes wrong from this point forward I will learn and tinker. Especially so if it's in the winter...
'02 Concourse where there's always a project going on...
Manitou
Site Admin

Re: Generator Issues

Post by Manitou »

Just some background on my own generator for you.

Bought the rig with a receipt for about $1000 in generator work. I couldn't read the details of most of the scribble but new carb was in there. Ran fine any time I wanted until I was in Tahoe (altitude and cold.. Freezing basically). I thought for sure the fuel hose had cracked and was sucking air. I didn't have time to take it to a shop but fooled with it a bit myself. Didn't fix it though. Next thing I know.. I was in Oklahoma (75 and not 7k feet). It ran fine and has continued to do so around Texas and Florida.
I'm fully expecting it to not work while back in Tahoe next month. I did try the altitude adjustment, though it seems to be hard to move (sticking?).
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I think you have a good plan, Skillet. The Mid-Atlantic summer heat/humidity is a bear, and as you say, you just want it to work for your upcoming travels. I think if you have the shop bring it up to snuff now, maintenance and repair-wise -- then if you do want to learn to maintain it, you'll be starting from a good baseline, instead beginning with problems.
1999 Concourse
Manitou
Site Admin

Post by Manitou »

I'm surprised no one (that I know of) has replaced the Benny with a permanent mounted Honda inverter one. There's some aftermarket folks that do remote start and remote gas tank hook ups for those.
Personally.. I think that's a better way to spend $1000-$1500. Course.. I don't know if it'll actually work. I think harbor freight has a similar model for $600 even.. I think it says 2200 watt continuous.

I wouldn't be able to run a/c and microwave at the same time, but big deal..
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

The Hondas are very nice, as generators go.

I haven't investigated, but a few questions that come to mind:

1) Would one Honda EU2000 be able to start the Air Conditioner? The start load is usually more than the continuous load.

2) I also wonder if it would fit in the generator compartment.

3) Could run it in there, or if you'd have to take it out and set it on the ground? That could be nice for you not having to listen to it, but less nice for others, plus they are prone to theft, and then who would want to set one out at a Wal-Mart or rest area or etc. (if it would have to be set out).

4) For me, which of my power tools would it run and not run. This has been so many years I don't remember which Honda model it was, but I was helping a friend build a shed out in the boonies and it would run my jigsaw, but would not start, say, the circular saw.

(I've only ever used the generator to run 110 power tools, and it's in the way of my refrigerator, so I have a feeling if it suddenly "wanted" $2,000 or something it might be gone... But I'm not sure whether or not a Honda 2000 could run those tools either?)

If you know about any of the above, I'm interested. And again, not to sound all negative, but just that these were thoughts that came to mind when I was pondering.
1999 Concourse
Manitou
Site Admin

Post by Manitou »

As with lots of things.. "It depends". It will start a rooftop a/c, but will it start yours? Don't know. There's aftermarket hard start capacitors to help with the initial start.. If your batteries are dead and the charger is using a lot of juice trying to charge them back up is another factor.
I'm also not sure it the are too tall for the compartment.. Add that to you remodeling! Haha
They are prett narrow.. So worst comes to worst buy two for tag team effort. Even cooler to install 2 different start switches and a switch for the "Eco" mode. You could run 1 in Eco mode just for battery charge and stuff.. Turn on both withEco mode off to start the a/c.
Ehhh solar panels and big battery bank and a whole house inverter for the a/c too sounds better.. A/c is always the problem child.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Manitou wrote:As with lots of things.. "It depends". It will start a rooftop a/c, but will it start yours?
Well I know it won't start mine, because mine's not on the roof anymore :lol:

For the little I use the generator (power tools, shop vac), I wouldn't replace mine if it died. Especially since I'm getting more and more battery powered tools. I did spend the money to have an Onan shop do a full maintenance when I bought the Chinook, and the generator is running fine now; but I wouldn't be very motivated to replace it. I was just asking questions. I don't mean to discourage anyone who wants to try it - and where there is a will there's a way.

I would also be more motivated if I lived in Florida, for obvious reasons (Air-con).
1999 Concourse
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

Yeah, heat and humidity will get ya here. And I was raised here! When I retire I might go someplace cooler but I do enjoy the change of seasons. I too was thinking about how a Honda generator would fit and I keep forgetting to check their dimensions against the current Onan spot. In any case, I'll start learning after I get it back. They never called today so I guess they'll have the Chinook into next week. I go back to work tomorrow so it won't be a major loss.
The one thing I didn't look at or heard about was the altitude adjustment. Would have been easy too since it's right there in front.
Manitou
Site Admin

Post by Manitou »

Skillet

Post by Skillet »

Got the word today from the Cummings/Onan shop. Said a lifter arm is broken and between that and my general tune-up request it's going to be a little over $700 for repairs. Told them to go ahead since I don't know what else to do and don't want to spend my free days shopping around for a better deal (if there is any). Had to order parts today from Pa and said they'll be in tomorrow. I should have the Chinook back tomorrow evening or Wednesday evening at the latest. For some reason I thought I read somewhere that's a common failure. I could be wrong tho.