Oil usage

Everything to do with engines, options, upgrades.
Manitou
Site Admin

Oil usage

Post by Manitou »

Seems mine v10 uses a bit of oil. To the run of like 2 quarts between oil changes. I've read this is fairly common for these v10's. Things to try seem to be replacing the pcv ($4 part), making sure there's no vacuum leak in the pcv system, and changing to 5w30 instead of 5w20. Apparently ford recommended 5w30 until 2002 (maybe 2001?) when they changed to 5w20. Rumor has it they just changed for some "CAFE" credit and not really a technical reason. Though 5w20 should be just fine, 5w30 would most likely save a little oil.
Everything I've read seems to indicate that bad seals are unlikely. Pcv and oil weight change I'll try.
Blue~Go

Re: Oil usage

Post by Blue~Go »

I have the V-10 now, and previously had the "sister" modular engine (the 5.4 V-8). Both of them have needed oil added between changes (presuming "between changes" means 3,000 miles). I haven't kept track exactly, but I'd guess around 1 quart. My V-10 only has around 60,000 miles on it, so I can't speak to longevity, but my V-8 had 140k on it when I sold it, and has 160k on it now (friend bought it) and is still purring along happily. It also used about 1 quart over 3,000 miles.

Funny story: Was talking to a friend who also has a V-10 (in a truck). We were on a long trip in it. He sort of looked down his nose and said "Oh, your rig USES oil? Mine doesn't" :insert smug smile: I don't even have to check it between changes."

Me: Really?! When's the last time you checked it? I'm checking it.

Result: Oh, lookie, down at least a quart (no oil showing on dipstick; bought two quarts, turned out it was down about 1.25 quarts).

Ha.

My previous (non-Ford) cars would also use just about a quart in 3,000 miles (I did change oil in those every 3,000 miles - conventional oil - and so instead of adding a quart this would come just as I was changing the oil anyway). Both of those cars got close to 400,000 miles on them (and didn't die of engine failure), so I'd say that a quart (or even more) doesn't necessarily indicate a problem.

One note is that in my previous 5.4 I used "regular" Mobil 1 and changed it at around 5,000 miles. Now I use the extended mileage (not the same as the "high mileage") Mobil 1 which only calls for a change every 15,000 miles. I have found this to be a HUGE convenience for two reasons. One is that I HATE to take my vehicles to just any "oil change place" (which could easily happen when on a trip and away from home mechanic); and two is that it can be somewhat of a hassle changing my own oil when on the road. Sometimes it's no problem, but campgrounds frown on "engine work," and in some states it's a pain to dispose of used oil (and plus then you have to carry oil change pan and etc.). The 15,000 mile interval makes it so much easier (even if I change it at 10,000 to be conservative). Of course if you want to feel like your engine is "using oil," just try going 10,000 - 15,000 miles between changes! I carry multiple quarts so that I know I will have some to add when it calls for it, because this oil can be a bit hard to find (although Wal-Mart seems to carry it consistently).

I did a bunch of research on the 5W20 vs. 5W30 issue (oil, boy, if you want to step into a nest of debate!). One thing I think I did determine is that in Mobil 1, there is a not a huge viscosity difference between the two (I guess the differences can vary somewhat between brands). And as you found out, some folks say it was changed just to meet some minimal mileage rating gain (or CAFE or whatever), and others say it's because the oil galleries are very small, and therefore the 20 is better flowing.

Anyway, based on my admittedly small sample size, I'd say that as long as all else is well, you likely don't have a big problem. (Not that I'm a mechanic - just a fellow vehicle owner.)

(Edited for clarity)
Last edited by Blue~Go on July 11th, 2015, 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
1999 Concourse
Concourse

Post by Concourse »

I have Ford service my 2004. Their recommended oil change interval is 5,000 miles and they use 5W20 synthetic. I have not noticed any oil consumption. I've been impressed with this Ford truck. It gets all of the scheduled maintenance and all that needs to be done is the regular consumables (tires, brakes, LOF). It has been a gas and go truck with no problems.
2004 Chinook Concourse (Sold and missed)
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Sounds like you have a nice routine and a trusted dealer. That's always a good feeling. And sticking to the maintenance schedule is probably one of the reasons you have a "gas and go" rig. Waiting until things break, on the other hand ... I'd be nervous all the time driving if I did that.

Although I haven't seen any issues related to the typical usage of approximately 1 quart every 3,000 miles (hard to complain when vehicles are still running well after 400k), I'm impressed that you have a vehicle that goes 5,000 miles without using any oil. I wonder what percentage do that?
1999 Concourse
Concourse

Post by Concourse »

I'm big on preventative maintenance and knowing what's going on so that it never becomes an issue. Break/Fix is not my style. I know things cost more is they happen when you can least afford it.

From the research, what is the typical loss point of the oil (rings, valves, gaskets)? I've not had an issue so never knew some of the modular motors have a consumption.
2004 Chinook Concourse (Sold and missed)
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I don't know exactly where the oil "goes," except to say that it's not "burning" as in blue smoke coming out like you'd on an older car with bad rings, etc.

I can say I've had just about the same consumption on every vehicle I've owned (all pampered), most of which were not Fords. This includes my trusty, bought-new Toyota pickup with the indestructible, and relatively simple, 22RE engine. Typically (back in the day of ~3,000 mile oil changes), I'd be nearing a quart low by the time I was ready to change. So of course I didn't add it but simply changed the oil and then put in the correct new amount.

It's possible I've misremembered on one or two vehicles, but I know I would remember if none of them used a drop between changes.

I actually think "break and fix" might be cheaper (if less convenient) because I probably preventatively take care of things that never would have caused a problem; but I just wouldn't be comfortable that way, so I do the same as you, and maintain/upgrade/fix things preventatively as much as possible. At least then if something does break down, I feel like I did what I could to avoid it.

BG

PS: I don't know where the "line" would be, but re-reading the original post I'd be concerned if the rig is using 2 quarts between 3,000-mile oil changes. At least I'd check into some things. OTOH, if it's running the 15,000-mile Mobil 1, I'd be quite pleased with that use rate. As written, I'm not sure what the oil-change interval is. I guess the days are gone when that automatically meant 3,000 miles.
1999 Concourse
Manitou
Site Admin

Post by Manitou »

I'm at 8k miles now (all synthetic stuff).
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Okay, well that makes a difference. So you are saying a quart is used every 4,000 miles. That seems unremarkable to me over a lifetime of owning various vehicles (none of which met an early engine demise), but apparently there is quite a bit of variation.
1999 Concourse
dblcola

Post by dblcola »

Our recently purchased 1997 unit had been parked in a dusty airplane hanger for at least 7 years with very little driving. The previous owner said he had only driven it about 50 miles while he owned it. It currently has 67k miles on the clock.

I changed the oil using 5w30 mobile oil.

The problem is it smokes intermittently. The day we bought it it didn't smoke at all. The next day it smoked pretty hard for 5-7 minutes then cleared up. The day after that it didn't smoke. We took a 125 mile trip, to a campground and it smoked pretty good for about 5 miles then quit. Upon arrival, slowly driving thru the campground it started smoking again. Sat for 1 day the drove back 125 miles and no smoking all day. Next day it didn't smoke but the day after that it did. The only thing I have done is change the pcv valve before the 250 mile trip.

I was wondering if anybody had ever experienced this before or have any idea what might be going on?

Thanks
Manitou
Site Admin

Post by Manitou »

This is just a wild guess.. but possibly a sticking valve. No unusual tapping sound once it's warmed up? (They always tap when cold at first.. till the oil gets up on top again)