Banks Power Performance additions

Everything to do with engines, options, upgrades.
kdarling

Banks Power Performance additions

Post by kdarling »

Has anyone added any of the Banks (or any other) performance addons?

http://www.bankspower.com/

Particularly interested in the air intake, header/muffler and transmission packages.

An extra ~50 HP, additional gas mileage, and crisper shifts sounds nice :)

Thanks for any experiences or thoughts!
1994 Concourse dinette, Ford 7.5L (460 V8)
Blue~Go

Re: Banks Power Performance additions

Post by Blue~Go »

I can only speak to one example (and it's not me but a friend). A friend with an E-450 based RV with the V-10 (I think you have the previous engine family in your year rig; I have the same V10 in mine), got the full-meal-deal Banks package. He noticed a little more power but it was so negligible that he couldn't tell if it was just "perceived" since he had just spent close to $5000 - or was real. He didn't really notice anything else, including not noticing improved gas mileage. His rig is around 14,000# plus 4,000# of toad.

I have camped with him a number of times, and what *I* notice is that I can hear him coming from a half mile away, and if it's night-time, it's slightly cringe-worthy while he maneuvers to and fro getting settled (because you are wishing it was quieter for the other campers who are in the same area). I would hate that as I like to come in/out as quietly as possible.

He never minds spending money fixing up his RV, but said the Banks is the one thing that he has done that he wouldn't repeat. It seems like a quality product, but he just doesn't really notice much except the extra exhaust volume (which some people might like, as it's more rumbly).

One plus I can see is that you eliminate the potential/issue with exhaust manifold studs on the stock manifolds.
1999 Concourse
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

Thank you very much for the tale of your friend.

If he didn't notice any mileage increase of note, then it doesn't sound worth it from that standpoint.

The transmission mod appealed to me for the same reasons why you had your transmission worked on... because Ford made the shifts soft, and I liked the idea that the transmission might last longer with less slippage.

Hmm. More to think about.

I do recall in the past seeing some Chinooks for sale with the Banks mods. Next time, I'll ask the seller.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

kdarling wrote: The transmission mod appealed to me for the same reasons why you had your transmission worked on... because Ford made the shifts soft, and I liked the idea that the transmission might last longer with less slippage.
Just as a note to clarify, I never noticed any slippage (even when my transmission was making a noise due to the snap ring being dislocated), and specifically didn't want the shifts to be any "crisper" after the work was done. I thought they were fine as stock. Reason I say that is because I've driven vehicles with aftermarket "super crisp" shift points, and it's not something that appealed to me for the Chinook. I like it smooth! Happily, the re-worked transmission shifts just like it did before (from a driver's point of view). But then I never felt it was "soft" or slippy before, just smooth. On the other hand, I know the guts are much more durable and cooler running than before, and that I really do like!

I'll still always take a manual transmission for a toad or daily driver car though - much more fun for me to drive.
1999 Concourse
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

Right, I didn't word that very well. Blame it on writing on an iPad mini in a hurry :)

What I meant was that I recall you had your transmission updated internally, so that it would last longer.

A Banks transmission mod helps with that goal, because it doesn't let it slip as much between shifts. The difference is supposed to be barely noticeable to the driver, but much better for the trans.

Side note: I just realized I'd also seen the Banks name in that TCT history of Chinooks, where it talked about that Chinook speed record at the Salt Flats.

"Eventually, Lukehart would break his own (99 mph) mark with the assistance of a Banks Performance System in the Chinook Concourse, driving it to an all-time top speed of 114 mph – a feat that had not been matched or broken in nearly a decade's time."
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Understood. If I'm typing on the phone... look out.

I had a problem I needed to fix (snap ring) and since I was at an expert shop, just had a lot of things beefed up "while we were in there." I especially wanted the overdrive planetary upgraded, so I could tow in overdrive (RPM-dependent of course) without worrying. So that's one of the things we did.

I never noticed any slipping, even with the snap ring messed up.

I had the predecessor to the 4R100 (which I have now) in my camper van, which was the E4OD. In that I was around 7,500# loaded, and 12,000# when towing (combined weight). I never noticed any slipping in that either, even when mountain towing, and it was stock. However, the temp would creep up in overdrive, so I mostly towed out of overdrive (didn't upgrade cooler though either - would have if I hadn't changed to Chinook).

I do remember reading that Banks has something to control the shifts (or something like that). But don't know all the details.
1999 Concourse