Chinook RV Forum

It is currently November 18th, 2017, 3:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: March 26th, 2016, 7:17 am 

Has anyone installed a Firestone Ride-Rite air suspension for the rear axle? Wondering if this add-on will work on a 2001 Concourse XL (Ford E-350) with the Chinook installed MorRyde rear suspension. Has it made a noticeable improvement to your ride and handling? Any recommendations for a different make?

background-color: #C1CAD2

PostPosted: June 24th, 2016, 4:17 pm 

The previous owner of my rig installed air bags above the axle but i do not know what brand they are. I used them on the way back from Texas because i was towing my Toyota back on a trailer behind it. All i can testify to is that they will raise the vehicle, they didnt really do much as far as ride quality, in fact i had read some place that installing air bags is not recommended with a MORryde system, they justified that statement saying it has an adverse affect on MORryde and prevents it from performing 100%. If you look at the bracketery on the MORryde its more than just a couple of rubber blocks. The spring attaches to bracketry that in turn attaches to the rubber blocks, those brackets appear to have a leverage affect on the blocks so i can see how installing bags above the axle may impede proper functioning. I dont know that its going to damage anyhting but i do know you wont gain anything as far as ride quality. If your goal is just to raise the ride height for a short distance because your towing something, they will do that.

PostPosted: June 24th, 2016, 5:17 pm 

Thanks dougm,

I have since come to the same conclusion and have been following your suggestion of a total replacement of the rear suspension with the Reyco RD800f package. I was in discussions with the Reyco rep today and it was funny how reluctant they are to steer you to a local dealer/installer. He kept saying "if you know someone, I can tell you if he is dealer..." If I'm gonna spend upwards of $4000 on a system, I need to know more...upfront.
Please keep your updates coming on this issue.

PostPosted: June 24th, 2016, 5:44 pm 

I ordered mine from stengel brothers after doing research and chatting with Reyco, Reyco will only sell via a distributor. I asked my local inland truck dealer to quote me a price and they quoted me over 5 grand for the same kit without the add ons that i got from stengel brothers. It doesnt matter who you order through because they are built to order, meaning Reyco will drop ship the product for the dealer once its ready. You will have to pick it up at a trucking dock or have a business they can ship to. Here is a link to Stengel Bros.
http://www.stengelbros.net/RD800F-Reyco ... _1587.html

By the way Reyco is in Missouri so thats where the kit will originate once it ships to you. I am currently in Nebraska so it will only take a day to get here once it ships, but i still have to pick it up at the trucking company dock.

Also if you search around on stengels web site you will find pictures of the kit they installed on a Chinook Concourse. I couldnt get the pictures to enlarge though so i had to look at them thumbnail size. Thats part of the reason i ordered from them as well, knowing i can call them if there are complications because they have actually installed the kit on the same vehicle as mine.

My kit is actually on order and paid in full so now its a waiting game, they said 4 weeks but i expect probably 5 weeks. I plan to take pictures when i install the thing so you may be best advised to hold off a while until i get mine installed. At this point i cant even testify to the quality of ride myself, i can only regurgitate what i have been told.

PostPosted: June 25th, 2016, 5:59 am 

Yep, I found the Stengel Bros. site as well. Too bad those installation pics on the Chinook were so small.
I will wait to see how your install and ride improvement goes. Let's hope the kit meets your expectations...

PostPosted: June 25th, 2016, 11:48 am 

dougm wrote:
I ordered mine from stengel brothers after doing research and chatting with Reyco, Reyco will only sell via a distributor. I asked my local inland truck dealer to quote me a price and they quoted me over 5 grand for the same kit without the add ons that i got from stengel brothers. It doesnt matter who you order through because they are built to order, meaning Reyco will drop ship the product for the dealer once its ready. You will have to pick it up at a trucking dock or have a business they can ship to. Here is a link to Stengel Bros.
http://www.stengelbros.net/RD800F-Reyco ... _1587.html

By the way Reyco is in Missouri so thats where the kit will originate once it ships to you. I am currently in Nebraska so it will only take a day to get here once it ships, but i still have to pick it up at the trucking company dock.

Also if you search around on stengels web site you will find pictures of the kit they installed on a Chinook Concourse. I couldnt get the pictures to enlarge though so i had to look at them thumbnail size. Thats part of the reason i ordered from them as well, knowing i can call them if there are complications because they have actually installed the kit on the same vehicle as mine.

My kit is actually on order and paid in full so now its a waiting game, they said 4 weeks but i expect probably 5 weeks. I plan to take pictures when i install the thing so you may be best advised to hold off a while until i get mine installed. At this point i cant even testify to the quality of ride myself, i can only regurgitate what i have been told.

That is interesting, looking forward to your report on install and impressions on ride quality!

PostPosted: August 24th, 2016, 1:15 am 

I completed the install and i can state that the ride quality is superior to the Morryde setup that comes on the chinook. The kit is of good quality, it is not real difficult to install once you have the leaf springs off and out of the way. It is time consuming but not difficult. I had to determine where each component was going to be located (compressor, main reservoir,low air alarm, on/off switch, kneeler switch, ect) and build a wiring harness accordingly. The kit comes with a length of 1/2" air tubing if you purchase the ping tanks (optional) but it does not come with the 1/4" air tubing to hook up kneeler valves, main reservoir ect... Air tubing can be purchased at any local truck parts store (not auto parts store). The kit does come with fittings, however the air fittings supplied are pretty much all straight which didnt work for me because i am a nit picker and prefer to use 90 degree fittings versus attempting to make unreasonable bends and turns with Nylon air hose, anyway i had to purchase several 90 degree fittings to replace the straight fittings supplied in the kit. The only real complication is the factory propane line which runs down the passenger side of the chinook frame, it must be modified using elbows to turn it upwards in the area of the wheel well so that it does not get smashed by the new suspension brackets. One other side note, the new brackets call for a 12 thousandths clearance between the bracket and the wear blocks you mount on the frame however any shimming is left to you as the installer, i simply ordered an additional shim for each side direct from reyco (they sent them to me free of cost). Once the kit is installed the clearance was no where near .012" clearance on each side, it was more like .25". Reyco claimed thats because the frames are different on certain models. Regardless just be aware that you need to verify that clearance and order shims from reyco or have them made by a local shop or if youre handy you can make your own with some metal and a drill. I left the morryde brackets bolted to the frame ( the ones that the rubber blocks bolt to) to mount the ping tanks vertically directly behind the air bags (the closer the ping tanks are to the air bags the softer the ride). It also allowed me to install a drain valve in each ping tank. One other issue is in removing the old leaf springs, my chinook is a 2005model year, the passenger leaf spring is straight forward when removing, simply unbolt it and pull it out. You would be best advised to go ahead and remove the tailpipe prior to removing the spring otherwise you have to battle with it to get the spring down around it. You have to have a new tailpipe made any way that goes back further along the frame before it turn out anyway (it exits exactly where the new air bag sits). The driver side leaf spring is another issue all together, Chinook did not bother to look at the forward leaf spring bolts when considering future repairs when they sat the camper shell onto the frame evidently. The front leaf spring bolt sits on the outside of the frame and the nut is on the inside of the frame, meaning the bolt must be pulled out towards the battery compartment when removing it, however the bolt will not come all the way out before it hits the battery compartment because the bolt is to long. I suppose you could simply pull the bolt out as far as you can and then cut it off and use a punch to drive the remaing portion out then replace the bolt from the opposite direction. I chose to use a 2 inch hole saw and drill a hole directly behind the bolt head threw the compartment which allowed me direct access to the bolt. The reason i decided to do it that way is because i mounted the air compressor in that compartment (behind batteries). The reason i justified the 2 inch hole is because the air compressor requires some ventilation, it does not run constantly but it still requires some ventilation. I ordered a 2 inch round screen to put in that hole to keep small rodents from entering and nesting in there also. Thats about it for the install i guess... I did post some pictures under another topic on here, but if you have questions just message me on here and i can try to answer them. One final note, when building your wiring harness take the tim to sit down and draw out a schematic of your harness, use different colored wire for each component because you will never remember where each wire goes for one thing, and if you just goto town and buy a 100 foot roll of red wire and attempt to wire it all using the same color wire youre going to end up with a nightmare and probably fry something before youre finished. I will also add that you do want to order the kneeler valves if you get the kit, the kneeler valves are an option that allows you to flip a switch which activates the kneeler valves to exhaust all of the air out of the air bags (great to assist in leveling the chinook)..... Beyond that good day. One last thing.... i do not recommend Stengel Brothers, i was told the kit also came with new bilstein shocks that were tuned for this air ride system mutiple time s by stengel. The kit does not come with shocks at all, luckily i had just installed a new set of bilsteins prior to getting new tires. When i called stengel to ask why there were no shocks in any of the boxes they called me back stating the kit doesnt come with shocks. When i expressed my displeasure after being told multiple times that it included new shocks as a selling point and asking what was going to be done to correct this falisy, stengel simply stopped all communications with me rather than resolve the matter appropriately. I am pleased with the purchase of the kit and the quality of the product, i am also pleased with Reyco considering they shipped me two shims free of cost, i am not pleased with Stengel brothers in the least and will not do business with them again ever for any reason.