Generator Noise

Everything to do with engines, options, upgrades.
pdemarest
**Forum Contributor**

Generator Noise

Post by pdemarest »

My rig has the Onan "MicroQuiet" 4000 generator but to me it sounds more like a "MegaLoud" generator. Has anyone tried using a different or second muffler, like off an ATV or some lawn equipment? Do you think adding a second muffler would affect performance? Most of my camping is at non-powered sites so I'd like to minimize the noise from the generator (until I do something more extensive with solar to avoid using it at all). Ideas?
Paul Demarest
2003 Premier V-10
Skillet

Re: Generator Noise

Post by Skillet »

From what I've read elsewhere on the internet, Onan/Cumings says you can damage the generator if you don't use the muffler specified for it. I've seen some mufflers that attach to the existing one and go up the back of the rv. The idea is to move the exhaust fumes up and over the rig if you park next to others at a campground. Someone chimed in and cited Onan saying those and other modifications would damage the generator. For what it's worth...
'02 Concourse where there's always a project going on...
Manitou
Site Admin

Post by Manitou »

These things are just loud any way you cut it. You can reroute the exhaust and even put another muffler in line. You can add additional sound dampener to the housing area. Neither makes it "quiet". A Honda generator or 2 some how retro fitted would be a much quieter solution.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

A friend has the successor generator of the same size, the "MicroQuiet," and it's plenty loud (stock exhaust and muffler). It's also mounted completely below his (other brand) RV's floor, as opposed to partially up into the rig like ours are. I basically hate all generator noise but still it's not quiet by anyone's measure.

The advantage to it over a Honda is that you can fire it up from inside, parked anywhere you like (rest area, Wal-Mart, etc.). That's not really feasible with a Honda type. Otherwise of course the Hondas are very nice machines (if you must have one at all :lol:).

Speaking of which, I really should start a thread because I'm going to sell my Onan MicroLite. Since I only have 45 hours on it, that tells you why - I don't really need it. I had it overhauled after I bought the rig (nothing wrong with it, but just wanted the maintenance base-line).
1999 Concourse
pdemarest
**Forum Contributor**

Post by pdemarest »

Thanks guys - I'm amazed that most rvs are still using these loud units, and even more amazed that Honda hasn't figured out that they are missing out on a multi-million dollar market. I'd love to have a couple of Honda 2000's in parallel so I could run on one unit most of the time. Those things are really quiet and it sure looks like you could squeeze a couple of them into the space for the Onan. Of course, I'm willing to wait until one of you guys does it so I can copy it!

Paul
Paul Demarest
2003 Premier V-10
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

When I bought a generator for the whole house a few years ago (wired in through a professionally installed lock switch in the house fuse panel), I did a lot of research on sound proofing.

Many people have built enclosures and added longer pipes to cut down on the noise to their neighbors. (Google "generator sound proofing" to get some ideas.)

I wonder if we could apply some of that know-how, such as using sound deadening enclosure, with a fan to cool the generator instead of the wire grill on the door, etc.
1994 Concourse dinette, Ford 7.5L (460 V8)
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

One note is that the Chinook generator (at least on my era model) is "half" in the coach and half below. The part that is "in" is below the refrigerator and surrounded only by carpet and pad for sound insulation. Carpet and pad are very poor sound insulation (and take up more room than good sound insulation). Since I had things in that area out, I stripped off the carpet/pad/glue and will be adding two types of soundproofing (forget the names right now but it's one layer for one thing and one for another - I got mine from "Second Skin," but there are many other brands of the same basic idea).

I don't know how/how much that will change the sound of the generator in the coach, but "shag" certainly isn't doing much.
1999 Concourse
SMan

Post by SMan »

My Micro lite is mega loud. :lol:
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Scott »

pdemarest wrote:I'd love to have a couple of Honda 2000's in parallel so I could run on one unit most of the time. Those things are really quiet and it sure looks like you could squeeze a couple of them into the space for the Onan. Of course, I'm willing to wait until one of you guys does it so I can copy it!
I use an EU2000i. It's a great unit. I’m happy to answer any questions you might have.
1994 Premier
pdemarest
**Forum Contributor**

Post by pdemarest »

Hey Scott - did you install it in the rig or is it still a portable?
Paul Demarest
2003 Premier V-10