Generator Noise

Everything to do with engines, options, upgrades.
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Generator Noise

Post by Scott »

pdemarest wrote:Hey Scott - did you install it in the rig or is it still a portable?
It's still portable for sure, which for me is a great advantage since I can use it for other stuff. And I can leave it behind if I know I'm not going to need it. I store it in the generator bay, which requires a slight tilt for ingress/egress but no biggie. Eventually I hope to draw fuel from the Chinook tank via the Onan fuel line with a modified gas cap. Then I won’t need to carry a gas can any more. But the Honda uses very little fuel and I seldom run it so I usually use ethanol-free fuel.
1994 Premier
SMan

Post by SMan »

Scott wrote:

It's still portable for sure, which for me is a great advantage since I can use it for other stuff. And I can leave it behind if I know I'm not going to need it. I store it in the generator bay, which requires a slight tilt for ingress/egress but no biggie. Eventually I hope to draw fuel from the Chinook tank via the Onan fuel line with a modified gas cap. Then I won’t need to carry a gas can any more. But the Honda uses very little fuel and I seldom run it so I usually use ethanol-free fuel.
Hi Scott. I am curious about your experience about what you can effectively run off of this generator in your Chinook. Microwave? AC?

Thanks! Steve
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
pdemarest
**Forum Contributor**

Post by pdemarest »

Scott - sounds like a great improvement over the Onan. I think a Honda 2000 would run the A/C and provide charging power - probably have to turn of the A/C to use the microwave but that's no big deal. Might be cheaper than trying to go full solar with inverters and battery banks, etc. and its certainly lighter than all that stuff.

Paul
Paul Demarest
2003 Premier V-10
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Scott »

SMan wrote:Hi Scott. I am curious about your experience about what you can effectively run off of this generator in your Chinook. Microwave? AC?

Thanks! Steve
Hey Steve,

The single Honda 2k ran my huge rooftop Coleman aircon without a hiccup. I never measured the startup draw. I didn't try the microwave since it was dead when I bought my rig. :roll:
1994 Premier
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Scott »

pdemarest wrote:Scott - sounds like a great improvement over the Onan. I think a Honda 2000 would run the A/C and provide charging power - probably have to turn of the A/C to use the microwave but that's no big deal. Might be cheaper than trying to go full solar with inverters and battery banks, etc. and its certainly lighter than all that stuff.

Paul
Hey Paul,

It’ll “probably” run your aircon. It ran my rooftop unit just fine, but naturally I can’t guarantee that it’ll work for all. For me, yes, it's better in many ways. That's not to account for every use-type, however. As noted already, one disadvantage to the Honda is that you have to get it out to run it, and chain it up if you're in a place where it would be vulnerable to theft. To me, that’s not a disadvantage because it’s even quieter on the ground, which I like. I put it slightly under the coach if there’s threat of rain, but as I said, I rarely use it. Also, at 45 pounds, not everyone is going to want to deal with the in/out. And it has to be pull started, but that requires very little effort.

That said, there is a long list of benefits.

Hope that helps.
1994 Premier
Manitou
Site Admin

Post by Manitou »

I watched a youtube video a couple years ago of some guy selling a retrofit kit. It wasn't "certified" or commercially offered sort of "kit". He claimed it allowed you to do remote fuel source (vehicle tank) and remote start. So.. it may be possible depending on your level of comfort.
SMan

Post by SMan »

I am intrigued by the Honda EU 2000 generator and will probably get one especially for home use. That said, because my onan has so few hours I will go ahead and replace the carb as it has never been exercised like it should. It is an easy and straight forward replacement. When I do I will post.
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

There are some major plusses to the Onan, depending on your use style. I know if I used mine (which I don't, but if I did), I'd really like to be able to just fire it up from inside, not have to haul anything out or worry about it being stolen, and then be able to just get on my way without re-stowing anything. Aside from just being lazy, it's poor etiquette to haul out a generator in a rest area or Wal-Mart or etc. and set it on the pavement. Also, perhaps some folks like to run Air-Con or etc. while driving.

On the other hand, the Honda has the advantage for other scenarios.

Or like me.... neither (it takes all kinds :D )
1999 Concourse
deppstein
**Forum Contributor**

Post by deppstein »

Scott (et all)...I have a question about your use of the portable Honda 200i inverter generator--Now that I have taken care of my ability to charge my electric bikes (Copenhagen Wheels) while driving (inverter direct wired to house batteries), and while off grid (via 200 amp solar)...I am turning my attention to AC in anticipation of longer trips in warmer climes and remote for days at a time. From your posts, it seems like you have been able to use your Honda 200i to run AC. Is that right?...and when doing so do you simply plug your shore power line into the Honda (using adapter plug)? AND, do you need to utilize a "ground neutral jumper plug" (into spare socket of the gen...or does it all work just fine without?
Any and all additional info/comments welcome.
Thanks,
David
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Scott »

deppstein wrote:Scott (et all)... From your posts, it seems like you have been able to use your Honda 200i to run AC. Is that right?...and when doing so do you simply plug your shore power line into the Honda (using adapter plug)? AND, do you need to utilize a "ground neutral jumper plug" (into spare socket of the gen...or does it all work just fine without?
Any and all additional info/comments welcome.
Thanks,
David
Hi there David. My Honda only sees action during the rare occasions when I need to run my window air con or a 1500w space heater. There have also been a few jobs involving my Mag 77 and soldering irons. The EU2000 will run any of those without issue. The air con can even run with the generator in eco mode. The shore power cord with a 15 amp adapter goes directly to the Honda. It stores conveniently in the locker by the spare tire. And I already carry a military issue 5 gallon gas can mounted to the bumper (just to hedge my bets since I've run out of gas in every vehicle I've owned :oops: ), so fueling up the Honda is a breeze, not to mention it'll run about 8 hours on a tank. Happy to answer any other questions.
1994 Premier