What is high generator hours

Everything to do with engines, options, upgrades.
Max

What is high generator hours

Post by Max »

Just both a 2004 summit with 800 hours on the generator just wondering if that is a lot of hour . What do other people have for hours
Blue~Go

Re: What is high generator hours

Post by Blue~Go »

My guess would be the biggest issues are caused not by high hours (within reason), but for lack of "exercising" them regularly, and/or clogged carburetor (old fuel) or fuel line (deterioration/cracks/air) that gets fuel from the Ford fuel tank. None of these issues would be particularly caused by more hours (in fact more likely with fewer hours).

I've seen plenty of these with 1,500 or 2,000+ hours on them. To me 800 sounds just fine.

(I have no idea how someone could stand to listen to one of these for 800 hours :shock: , but that's a different issue, and obviously it doesn't bother many people.)
1999 Concourse
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

With 800 hours, it's possible that your rig's previous owner used it while driving to power the rooftop air.

My '94 Concourse only has about 80 hours on its Onan generator. But I've read of many people with 2,000-3,000 hours and more. As Blue noted, regular exercise is good for them.

What's more important is how well it was cared for. I.e. did its oil get changed on time, etc.

Kev
1994 Concourse dinette, Ford 7.5L (460 V8)
dougm

Post by dougm »

800 hours is nothing. Do the math, 800 hours equals approximately 33 days of use. Onan has a 3 year warranty on their generators.