Banks Power Pack

Everything to do with engines, options, upgrades.
Jermanitor

Re: Banks Power Pack

Post by Jermanitor »

I should mention that I changed the Y pipe and muffler. It all came in the Banks kit.
I can't believe how restricted the V10's are!
Jermanitor

Post by Jermanitor »

Milage report after Banks Power pack installation.

Miles driven: 1378
Speed driven: 70mph
Gallons used:141
Miles Per Gallon:9.77

The Banks Power pack offers big gains in power not in milage :( :(
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

Jermanitor wrote:The Banks Power pack offers big gains in power not in mileage :( :(
Thank you very much for the report.

It's not unexpected, partly because you probably are subtly enjoying the extra power :)

Anyway, it's why if I were rich, I'd get extra gears with an over/underdrive box.

Although man I'd love the Banks as well !! I think it's the fear of broken bolts that holds me back. Maybe I just need to practice extracting broken bolts with heads from a junkyard :lol:
1994 Concourse dinette, Ford 7.5L (460 V8)
LosLaureles

Post by LosLaureles »

I have appointment for the Banks Exhaust manifold upgrade, I am not expecting much in performance improvements. However, I would like to ask educated questions when I arrive at Banks Power. Any advice welcome from current Banks users. FYI, I am only making the change because I know of at least one manifold stud is broken and have a small leak when engine is cold. I don't want the issue getting worse before the next smog check. I currently don't have plans on upgrading the cold air intake with the Banks System.
2000 Chinook Premier
LosLaureles

Post by LosLaureles »

Banks Torque Tubes installed. Three studs broke during extraction, one stud was known broken before project start. Total cost 3k.
Pros:
Better torque between 40 and 60mph.
Better pull on long hills
Less decibels in cab. Maybe the exhuast leak was bigger than first thought.
Before install I had a small starting stumble when motor was cold. Stumble is gone.
Smoother exhaust sound
Cons:
This is a job for professionals with large vehicle lifts and experience. Labor intensive project, expect any experienced mechanic quote 8 to 14 hours.

Note: although the improvements are good, I would only do if required. I am sure most older v10 motors will experience manifold stud issues sometime.
2000 Chinook Premier
kskogerson

Post by kskogerson »

Apparently, Banks no longer supplies headers for the 460 and neither does Summit. Any idea where I might get some good headers for my 1996 460?
JabberBox

Post by JabberBox »

Depends on what kind of header youre looking for. You wanting full length headers, mid length headers, or shorty header? Dont waste your time and money on anything that isnt stainless steel. You want a top quality header thats stainless with thick mounting flanges. Otherwise they will will start to rust the minute you install them and you will be fighting exhaust leaks forever.

Doug Thorley use to make headers for 460's in RV's. If you use Google search you can find all kinds of mid and shorty stainless headers for the 460 engines.
68camaro
**Forum Contributor**

Post by 68camaro »

JabberBox wrote: July 25th, 2023, 3:19 pm Depends on what kind of header youre looking for. You wanting full length headers, mid length headers, or shorty header? Dont waste your time and money on anything that isnt stainless steel. You want a top quality header thats stainless with thick mounting flanges. Otherwise they will will start to rust the minute you install them and you will be fighting exhaust leaks forever.
If you can't find stainless steel you can powder coat others to avoid rust, I did this on my Camaro many many years ago and headers still look new.
2001 Concourse XL Lounge model, 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis.