2001 Chinook Concourse Fuel Pump Replacements

Everything to do with engines, options, upgrades.
BGuz_Colo

2001 Chinook Concourse Fuel Pump Replacements

Post by BGuz_Colo »

Hello all - and thanks for any input here!

We have 2001 Chinook Concourse, E350 V10 Triton, just passed 90,000 miles (purchased at 78,000). We are the third owners as best we know.

A year ago we addressed the catalytic converter - we were choking and losing power up grades of any sort. A new cat solved that problem. We also dealt with a fuel leak from the fuel fill hose. That fix included dropping the fuel tank, and since it was down, we replaced the fuel pump and fuel lines as well.

This year we decided to do the spark plugs (having no idea if they had ever been replaced). That job got done by a new mechanic.

HERE IS THE ISSUE: New mechanic believes the wrong fuel pump was put into this vehicle when we dropped the fuel tank. The mechanic is stating that the fuel pressure is at 90psi, way too high and thus flooding the engine and running rich (I believe we want to be 30psi or there abouts?). This problem is causing misfires as well as fuel efficiency, and down the road will burn out the catalytic converter. Mechanic believes the pump that is in there is electronically controlled, but our vehicle wants a "mechanically" operated fuel pump. Does this make sense? Suggestion is to drop the tank and swap out the fuel pump for a "mechanically" operated fuel pump. (Apologies for the non=professional notes about the different pumps, I am a bit unclear on the issues).

Does this info make sense to any owners of a 2001 E350 chassis?

Thanks in advance
Ben in Colorado
Manitou
Site Admin

Re: 2001 Chinook Concourse Fuel Pump Replacements

Post by Manitou »

I'm guessing this is some sort of vacuum controlled (regulated) pump. Furthermore, I'd guess a fuel pressure regulator has to be somewhere in the system. Sorry i'm not much help. 30psi sounds right and a regulator is what will be the problem if there's too much pressure.
caconcourse

Re: 2001 Chinook Concourse Fuel Pump Replacements

Post by caconcourse »

We have a 2001 Concourse (2000 Ford Chassis). Our fuel pump failed after sitting in our driveway during covid, and we wound up getting stranded on our last trip as a result. The engine actually ran fine except it would die when idling at a light. Until we ran into hot weather, and the fuel vaporized in the heat and did not get sucked up by the engine and the engine just died. It would start right up again after waiting overnight, when the fuel cooled down. We got the fuel pump replaced and haven't had a repeat of the problems. I don't think there are different "types" of fuel pumps in this case, they are standard parts for the E350, with an electric motor, and I think it runs continuously when the ignition is on.

The pump has two variants, a "2-port" and a "3-port". We need the 3-port, as the third port is used for the generator feed, which is just a tube that drops about 3/4 down into the tank. The main port has the intake at the bottom with a screen filter. The second port is a "return" port, so that excessive fuel sent toward the engine is just recirculated back to the tank. This should eliminate any over-pressure.

It's possible the wrong pump was installed (2-port vs 3-port) but the number of hose connections should have been apparent. In our case, they initially delivered the 2-port version, and they had to re-send the 3-port version, so it is not hard to make that mistake. At any rate, the overpressure should be investigated. I am not sure there is a pressure regulator, but if so, check it. Probably the fuel pump installation should be rechecked to make sure the 3-port was used, and the return line is not obstructed. Make sure the generator and return line hose connections are on the proper port.

Good luck
Clay
2001 Concourse
Santa Barbara, CA