Improving 460 V-8 performance

Everything to do with engines, options, upgrades.
kdarling

Improving 460 V-8 performance

Post by kdarling »

Okay, instead of diverting the Banks thread, let's do the pre-1997 Ford 460 motor discussion here :)
  • Headers - does Thorley make them just for the E series? Which model header? Tri-Y? Why not Banks? What is cost/perf diff.
  • Pipes - stay with a Y and single pipe, or add dual exhaust?
  • Mufflers - any change necessary?
  • Air intake - K&N filter? Maybe a cold air intake?
  • Chip mods - don't know of any for the older EFI computers.
--

Here's a set of articles where a magazine started out with little 460 tweaks and worked their way up... measuring the performance and MPG gain with each change. Just found it, haven't read it much yet, but looks pretty cool.

http://performanceunlimited.com/project ... series.pdf
1994 Concourse dinette, Ford 7.5L (460 V8)
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Improving 460 V-8 performance

Post by Scott »

Headers - does Thorley make them just for the E series?

Yes, they have an E350-specific kit. They're awesome. They're every bit as nice as the Banks, and for our V8 rigs, they're even better. Thick flanges, equal length tubes, ceramic coated!!!, gentle bends, great Y-pipe, comprehensive hardware kit, perfect fitment, and they even include a flanged piece to weld into the rest of the factory exhaust, so you don't have to mess with anything else like the cat or muffler or tailpipe if you don't want to; although the only part I saved was the cat; I put on a very large, very quiet muffler, and new large diameter tail section, and large single exhaust tip. Almost $830 just for the header kit, but just outstanding craftsmanship. Quite difficult to install depending on what you break during removal. I ran only briefly with my stock manifolds, but I detected that low-end torque was "noticeably" increased with the headers, but it wasn't shockingly so. I've never once wanted more power in my Chinook, and I've been through some very steep mountain ranges across the USA and Canada. MPG must've improved slightly since I'm averaging just a hair under 12MPG across more than 20k miles (calculator calculations using Fuelio app). I don't remember checking MPG before installing headers so I can't make an accurate claim on improvement. If anyone goes this rout, change the sparkplugs and wires while the manifolds are off. It's a breeze.

Pipes - stay with a Y and single pipe, or add dual exhaust?

Single for sure. Duals help with high horsepower, high RPM applications. With a huge displacement V8 like the 460 in a RV (which should be a quiet cruiser IMO), you care about low-end torque, not horsepower. So high RPM flow through the exhaust isn't much of a concern (after the manifolds or headers). Better flow is better, yes, but unless you're approaching redline frequently and own Chevron stock, a good single exhaust is just fine.

Mufflers - any change necessary?

I changed mine because I didn't like the dual (2" I think) factory tailpipes. I got a really good deal on a big ol' single in/single out muffler, so I changed it out since I was already into the exhaust. It has an assertive sound, but zero drone and definitely not "loud."

Air intake - K&N filter? Maybe a cold air intake?

Nah. K&Ns are over-rated IMO. Factory air cleaners are almost always just fine, and usually better in stock vehicles (there are a few exceptions). The intake in my 94 draws cold, fresh air right at the hood/grille junction. It looks fairly restricted with minimal cross section, but again, I'm almost always at low RPM so the flow isn't that high. Not something I'd spend time/money on. Some have claimed increased power from removing the trumpets before the throttle, but I'm not going to bother. I've installed K&N filters on turbo charged race cars, but they were radically modified cars, and it was usually a space/packaging issue.

Chip mods - don't know of any for the older EFI computers.

I wouldn't. What I would do, however, is open your PCM and look for leaking capacitors. Change them out if you're OK to solder PCBs. They act as filters and can cause misfires at low RMP.

I bought my era Chinook BECAUSE it has a 460. Lots of varying opinions, and all can be substantiated, but as I've said above, I only care about torque, and the 460 lopes along quietly and reliably. It's a great heavy duty power plant. The ONLY drawback is the exhaust manifolds (tendency to warp). If they're good, then you're good. If they're warped and leaking, remove them, swear A LOT, chase all the threads in the heads, swap in headers with good gaskets, good screws, and plenty of antiseize.
Last edited by Scott on June 20th, 2017, 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
1994 Premier
Colorider

Post by Colorider »

12 mpg?!? :o

I'm happy when I can keep it above 10! Granted, I live in CO and we have less air and bigger hills, but even in AZ and UT I've only ever broken 11mpg once or twice and I was nowhere near a 75mph highway for that.

Maybe I should be looking into these mods. On the other hand, a 1-2mpg gain would take a LONG TIME to pay off the couple thousand bucks for the headers and full exhaust.
"Harvey the RV" - 1994 Chinook Premier, Dinette, 7.5L V8
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Scott »

Colorider wrote:12 mpg?!? :o

I'm happy when I can keep it above 10! Granted, I live in CO and we have less air and bigger hills, but even in AZ and UT I've only ever broken 11mpg once or twice and I was nowhere near a 75mph highway for that.

Maybe I should be looking into these mods. On the other hand, a 1-2mpg gain would take a LONG TIME to pay off the couple thousand bucks for the headers and full exhaust.
Well, 11.8 MPG. That's a long-term running average. I've been well into the 12s on several tanks. But also under 10 a couple times. It doesn't sound that great to me, but I don't really know what I was getting before the headers. I try to keep it at/below 65mph, I rarely tow anything, and just try to be mellow. But I'd say about half of my driving is in very mountainous areas, and I find myself passing a lot of big rigs. Funny you mentioned Utah; that's where some of my worst MPGs came from. I can't care too much about fuel cost; it's a small part of a large financial picture. Also, I just checked my records and I paid $827 for the headers, and the muffler was from a buddy who does exhaust work. I kept the cat and did all the work myself. So it doesn't need to be $2000+. However, the big deterrent would be the labor, not the buy-in.
1994 Premier
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

Hey, has anyone here changed their plugs and wires?

If so, how'd you reach all of them? Any that are especially difficult? I've read horror tales of having to remove front wheels to reach the front ones. True?

(Makes me miss the old sixties Dodge vans I had with the engine entirely between the front seats. Not only could you reach everything, but your passenger could actually work on the engine while you drove! :o plus you were safe from the weather )
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

kdarling wrote:Makes me miss the old sixties Dodge vans I had with the engine entirely between the front seats... your passenger could actually work on the engine while you drove!
And you had a built in coffee table (none of this wimpy little "console" stuff) :mrgreen:

What always jolts me when I look at the old-school vans is how minimal the seats are. Practically just a padded folding chair :shock: And the the steering column is just a rod. But I drove a 1978 E-series box truck back in 1979, and it seemed perfectly normal - cushy even!
1999 Concourse
Rokrover

Post by Rokrover »

kdarling wrote:Makes me miss the old sixties Dodge vans I had with the engine entirely between the front seats. Not only could you reach everything, but your passenger could actually work on the engine while you drove!
Or even grill some steaks on the exhaust manifiold :D
Ted C. / SW Arizona
"The Blue Chook" 2002 Concourse Owner: 2013-2019
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

Rokrover wrote:Or even grill some steaks on the exhaust manifiold :D
Yep, I've cooked hot dogs and potatoes wrapped in foil that way, multiple times in my youth :)

--
I gotta tell you, it's tempting to pay someone to change my plugs and wires. I worry that the plugs are original like the shocks were. Difference is, if a plug breaks while trying to remove it, that's a pain to fix. I've read that many shops charge $400+ to change plugs on an E350, plus another $90 per broken plug.
vacuumbed

Post by vacuumbed »

Blue~Go wrote:
kdarling wrote:Makes me miss the old sixties Dodge vans I had with the engine entirely between the front seats... your passenger could actually work on the engine while you drove!
And you had a built in coffee table (none of this wimpy little "console" stuff) :mrgreen:

What always jolts me when I look at the old-school vans is how minimal the seats are. Practically just a padded folding chair :shock: And the the steering column is just a rod. But I drove a 1978 E-series box truck back in 1979, and it seemed perfectly normal - cushy even!
Those were the good ole days!
2005 Concourse E350 Ford V10.
1990 Concourse E350 Ford. 7.3 IDI Diesel.
SMan

Post by SMan »

I fondly remember putting the old foil wrapped "Poor Boy" sandwiches on each side of the intake manifold of a small block chevy while traveling and they would be nicely heated when you reached your destination.
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10