Improving 460 V-8 performance

Everything to do with engines, options, upgrades.
Rokrover

Re: Improving 460 V-8 performance

Post by Rokrover »

kdarling wrote:Hey, has anyone here changed their plugs and wires? If so, how'd you reach all of them? Any that are especially difficult? I've read horror tales of having to remove front wheels to reach the front ones.
I am dreading having to replace spark plugs, boots and perhaps coils on my V-10, let alone exhaust manifolds. Access is of course the key issue with the van ingesting most of the engine into its cramped maw.

I cannot speak from specific experience, other than fumbling around with doghouse removed, but have collected some good tips for my “just in case” file. One of these I thought I’d pass on is to remove both seats for easier access tunneling straight through the doghouse opening. No more Houdini contortions to cripple the aging back!
Ted C. / SW Arizona
"The Blue Chook" 2002 Concourse Owner: 2013-2019
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Scott »

Ted, the plugs are kind of a different animal on a V10. Different considerations and different challenges.

For the 460 ... factory spec plugs, wires, cap, and rotor are about $100 from Summit. Removing the seats is a smart first move, although not required. Most of the plug work on the left bank (for me) is done from below. Biggest challenge is avoiding cross threading the new plugs while working blind, on your back, on a gravel driveway, with a golden retriever licking your face. Anti seize on the threads and dielectric grease in the boots are good for the next sucker who has to do the job. 100k mile suggested interval from Ford is nuts. It's one of those things; the longer you go, the harder it is to do. Limited rust underhood is inspiring. Shop vac the plug holes before removal, and before the new plugs go in. If you're feeling outrageously ambitious, it's also a good time to conduct a compression/leak-down check.
1994 Premier
Rokrover

Post by Rokrover »

I get it now, Scott; the 460 is a classic muscle-era pushrod V8 with carb, distributor and plugs between exhaust ports. Once I had a 1-ton GMC Vandura van converted by Quigley to 4WD and its 350 was the similar traditional layout. I changed its plugs and wires relatively easily from inside but had to work a lot by feel.

So you’re right, the OHC modular series are different beasts and perhaps less encouraging for this kind of DIY work, particularly with all the fuel injection and emissions plumbing barricading the vitals.

Our inquisitive dogs often do get in the way, don’t they :D They mean well of course but can become annoying distractions at crucial moments. Cheers,
Ted C. / SW Arizona
"The Blue Chook" 2002 Concourse Owner: 2013-2019