1998 concourse cruise controll quit working

Everything to do with engines, options, upgrades.
Flame
**Forum Contributor**

1998 concourse cruise controll quit working

Post by Flame »

Cruise control had gotton to where it would work when it wanted to. Then last 2-3 trips it worked every time. Then today it decided it just wouldn't "come on" again. I have tried at least 20 times with no luck. Any ideas where to start looking? Is there a fuse or a solenoid that could have gone out? If you ever got it to set..then it worked great. Resume, everything. But now...nothing at all. Big trip next weekend..need HELP!!
1998 Concourse V-10 Triton....AKA...Land Shark
Blue~Go

Re: 1998 concourse cruise controll quit working

Post by Blue~Go »

Mine didn't work when I bought it. It may have been intermittent, I don't know, because I only tried it a couple of times and then gave up until I had it repaired (things that don't work irritate me, so I ignored it until I could have it fixed). The fix was done by a shop, and involved parts inside the steering wheel/switch area. I could probably dig up the receipt.

That's not a lot to go on - but let's see what others have to say.
1999 Concourse
Flame
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Flame »

Thanks Blue, I googled it and it appears they even had a recall of this problem back in the day. I will look today on mine but...they say a pressure switch mounted on the brake master cylinder most likely is the culprit. They "stick" open or closed and will not let the current get to the cruise switches. Supposed to be an easy and inexpensive fix. Don't even have to bleed the brake system but...it did also mention may have to replace the clockspring in the steering wheel area which is what your mechanic probably had to do. I won't replace anything in the steering wheel system myself. I am scared to death of messing with a airbag!!!
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Couple of notes:

1) You can look up your VIN with Ford and see if there are any outstanding recalls on your Chinook. My cruise control recall had already been done before I bought it, apparently, as my VIN did not show up with any outstanding recalls. Nevertheless, the cruise control didn't work.

2) I believe my issue was the steering wheel switch, and not the clockspring.
1999 Concourse
Xatlatc
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Xatlatc »

My cruise was intermittent which drove me crazy. I ordered a part that screws into the brake cylinder which works with the brake pressure. Nada. I finally took it to a Ford dealer in St. Louis and told the technician I thought it was the ‘ on ‘ button not working. I was correct and $501.00 later it was fixed. Very well worth it considering we just finished a 8.5 month and 19,450 mile trip. Wouldn’t have done it with the cruise not working.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Sounds like we had the same issue, Xatlatc. I can't remember how much it cost to have mine fixed, but that's partly because it was the same service visit where I had my "baseline" maintenance done. All the fluids changed, thermostat, belts, generator service, etc. The cruise control switch almost got "lost" in the big picture of the bill :shock: (Oh, and the power lock switch I stupidly caused to die by putting in a new headlight switch without disconnecting the negative battery cable :cry: )
1999 Concourse
Flame
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Flame »

xatlac, what did they do and what did they replace to fix the problem?
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I'm not Xatlatc but it sounds like he and I had the same problem. In my case they ordered the part (switch that you use on steering wheel to turn it on and off, etc.) and installed it in the steering wheel. I often DIY but in this case the shop did the whole thing. It was part of my "new-to-me vehicle baseline" maintenance that I had done all at once.
1999 Concourse
Flame
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Flame »

Well, I just replaced the pressure switch on the brake master cylinder and it DID NOT solve the problem. I guess I'm off to the dealership. I did discover however that I do have the new and improved wiring harness with the fusable links in place that was required back in a recall. If I wasn't so afraid of airbags I would tear into the steering column but Nope...not me!!
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Just curious if you checked your recall status on Ford's site. I may be off on this, but I have this vague memory that there were two recalls. A first fix and a second fix. It's just fuzzy enough that I may be completely wrong though, and/or yours was already done twice.
1999 Concourse