No Start - Fuel Pump Failure

Everything to do with engines, options, upgrades.
Rokrover

No Start - Fuel Pump Failure

Post by Rokrover »

All of a sudden my 2002 Concourse on a 2001 E-350 chassis refused to start after only 42,000 miles, even though the V10 cranked over at a healthy rate. I checked the fuse and relay to confirm the in-tank fuel pump was getting voltage, so concluded the pump itself had failed. Supposedly this is a know Ford weakness and ethanol in current fuels doesn't help. Long story short - an expensive repair for parts and labor but also an opportunity with the tank dropped for preventive maintenance like replacing the aging fuel hose to the generator and gaining better access to change the differential oil. The pump failure gave no warning but luckily happened in my driveway so I had the benefit of time to find a reputable service center. At least I saved some by dropping the drive shaft myself to prepare the Chinook for towing on its rear axle. I now use a fuel additive to hopefully counter the damaging effects of ethanol during long-term storage. Lesson learned!
Ted C. / SW Arizona
"The Blue Chook" 2002 Concourse Owner: 2013-2019
A Rooney

Re: No Start - Fuel Pump Failure

Post by A Rooney »

On the yahoo group someone posted about using a rubber mallet at the fuel tank to get a stuck fuel pump working.Although I have not had to verify the effectiveness of this,I did include said mallet to my onboard travel kit.Rooney
Rokrover

Post by Rokrover »

Yes, I gave the tank some hard raps with a mallet to no avail. It could be a last resort stuck out in the boonies. Thanks for the tip though.
Ted C. / SW Arizona
A Rooney

Post by A Rooney »

The technique as posted,involved a simaltaneous rap on the tank while another person cranks the engine,just looked up the post there. Rooney
Cincy Spin
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Cincy Spin »

"I saved some by dropping the driveshaft myself to prepare the Chinook for towing on it's rear axel".

(Sorry, haven't figured out cut and paste yet). But I have a couple of questions:

1)Does the driveshaft have to be dropped any time the vehicle is towed on the rear axel?
2) Can the vehicle be towed on the front axel? (I'm assuming no need to drop the axel if towing on front wheels since it isn't connected to the front wheels.)
Rokrover

Post by Rokrover »

You can move the Chinook a short distance with the automatic transmission in neutral without concern. However, the transmission will be damaged towing for any distance at speed with the drive shaft connected and rear drive wheels on the ground, since parts need lubrication by a pump that's driven only from the engine input side.

My towing company didn't have available a rear-wheel lift that would fit under the low rear overhang of the Chinook and their large flat bed trailer was much more expensive. So my best compromise for 30 miles on the highway was to tow on the rear axle with drive shaft disconnected.

Cheers, Ted
Ted C. / SW Arizona
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Ted,

Just wanted to say "Hi" now that I see your signature and realize you are "The Blue Chook." I don't remember where it was published on the web, but a brief text written by you about your rig and a photo (looking aft, you at the dinette having coffee, maybe a dog on the sofa) is one I kept returning to in my mind when the Chinook hunt got discouraging and I considered other things that were easier to find. Yay Blue Chook! As it turned out, I even ended up getting a blue one :)

I would be interested to hear the details of what you find as far as how the fuel hose to the generator is brought out of the tank, etc.
1999 Concourse
Rokrover

Post by Rokrover »

G'day Blue~Go :D Concerning the fuel hose to generator, I traced it up over the tank but couldn't see back to the inlet connection. I vaguely remember someone over on the Yahoo site replacing theirs after only partially lowering the tank. I let the shop take care of mine when they fully dropped the tank to pull the pump out. Visitors were excluded from their work area per usual insurance legalese, so unfortunately I missed the details.

The picture you refer to is probably from my old blog:
http://rokrover.blogspot.com/2013/06/th ... aries.html
Since then, the classic blue racing stripe trim has faded more under harsh Arizona sunshine and our beautiful dog has passed on. Sorry to digress off topic, but these wonderful memories are inspiration to keep the old girl running.

Cheers,
Ted C. / SW Arizona
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Hi Ted,

I'm not sure I ever saw your blog (just skimmed for now as I'm on a road trip mission). Good stuff! But that's the photo that inspired me: You reading service manuals at the dinette on a sunny morning with Phoebe sprawled in glorious comfort on the couch. I'm sorry to hear your pup is no longer with you - I had a road trip buddy as well for 16 years. They're the best.

Glad to see you here on the forum now :D

(Darn those shops that don't let you in back to see though :cry: )

BG
1999 Concourse
reddingnative

Post by reddingnative »

My 1995 Chinook, 460 runs and starts great as long you start it everyday. If I let it sit for over a day, the engine cranks and tries to start but usually takes several tries before starting, 15-20 seconds of cranking. Thinking it's a fuel supply problem. I have 1/2 tank of fuel. Generator starts right up.
Chinook Concourse Manufactured 6/1996
1995 Ford E350 Chassis, 7.5L 460