Rusty Propane Tank

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
Skillet

Rusty Propane Tank

Post by Skillet »

I think the next thing I'm going to tackle is the propane tank. It's getting rusty and the paint is peeling. Before I read about POR-15, I purchased some Rustoleum rust neutralizer, sandpaper, and a rust remover brush for my cordless drill. For paint I'm probably going to use white or silver. Don't know if anyone has tried this but I plan to get on this soon. Work and rain has been keeping me from getting to it.
'02 Concourse where there's always a project going on...
HoosierB
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Rusty Propane Tank

Post by HoosierB »

Skillet wrote:I think the next thing I'm going to tackle is the propane tank. It's getting rusty and the paint is peeling. Before I read about POR-15, I purchased some Rustoleum rust neutralizer, sandpaper, and a rust remover brush for my cordless drill. For paint I'm probably going to use white or silver. Don't know if anyone has tried this but I plan to get on this soon. Work and rain has been keeping me from getting to it.
The Manchester propane tank is part of my "projects to do list". I'm having a local RV Service Center do a complete check and inspection of the tank. Mine looks pretty nasty (rusty). This is one of those items you may be better off doing a replace rather than a "reface". Having a new tank/fittings seems a better proposition than making a bad tank pretty.
"Wanda" – '01 Chinook Concourse XL V10
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

Yeah, I do agree with you and might end up going that route. Where do we get new tanks and how much? I might drive by the local propane folks (Suburban Propane) to find out if they do it.
Manitou
Site Admin

Post by Manitou »

I found this and it looks really similar (same?), but what size is our tanks?
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/lp-g ... e-tank.htm
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

18.9 gallon Manchester tank. Wow, $706 for a 11gal tank. Don't want to know what ours will cost!
Manitou
Site Admin

Post by Manitou »

Does say its "on sale" for $411. Other sites had it around $500. Still though, 19 gallon will be between that and maybe $1000. That wire wheel starts looking pretty good right about now. Can you get new fittings installed or some other sort of "remanufacture" process somewhere?
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

I've been searching online for the equivalent tank and so far can't find it. I took a picture of the stamped label so I know the dimensions and gallons I'm dealing with. I did put one layer of Rustoleum product on the rust and it turned it black. Still doesn't look all that great so I'm going to probably climb under tomorrow and do some more work. I'm using a large wheel for rust removal, but it's a round bit that my chuck on the drill can't hold onto for very long. Then I have to stop and retighten over and over...
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Just to add, that our "built in" tanks are ASME tanks (vs. the portable DOT type tanks) and, as such, are supposed to be for the life of the vehicle and they don't need re-certifying as DOT tanks do. (I have found that some propane suppliers think they are the same as DOT tanks). That doesn't mean they never need replacing, but just that when a professional fills them, they are supposed to visually inspect, and unless something looks noticeably amiss (huge dents, holes, or whatever) then they can fill them without any special certifying or etc.

I wouldn't want to keep a truly bad tank, but on the other hand surface rust can look really horrible yet not be that bad (of course it can also not be surface rust...). So I think it'd be worth taking a good look before replacing (I mean, unless you just feel like it). They are supposed to be painted a reflective color.

BTW, here is the stamped in label on mine. I'm not sure you can read it in the photo, but if you need any specific numbers, just let me know and I can check. I can read them all in person, I think. It's an 18.8 gallon Manchester tank.
propane tank label.jpg
Last edited by Blue~Go on June 5th, 2015, 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1999 Concourse
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

BTW, I found a Manchester ASME tank catalog at the link below. They do have one they show as 18 gallons, although it doesn't look exactly the same as mine (the "shields" are separate vs. continuous), but it might be the same one? I'm looking at part #22987. Might be worth a call to them anyway.

On my tank I see "Cat # 6820" (catalog number?) but they could have changed it since it was made in 1998. I do also have a serial number on the tank if that would help at all (not sure if you can read yours).

http://www.mantank.com/pdf/Propane%20Fu ... hicles.pdf
1999 Concourse
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

I just sent Manchester an email so I'll let ya'll know what they say about replacement models, etc. Here's a pic of my label. I see we have the same catalog number...
After looking at the link, I see while it's a match gallon-wise, it's longer. Mine is listed as 12x42".
Attachments
Chinook Propane Tank.jpg