Rusty Propane Tank

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
Blue~Go

Re: Rusty Propane Tank

Post by Blue~Go »

I hope you get some good news from Manchester. Maybe it's one of those deals where they no longer list it, but can make one if someone orders it. I see what you mean about the one shown in the catalog being too long (darnit).

The label on yours looks quite spiffy, really.
1999 Concourse
Manitou
Site Admin

Post by Manitou »

A professional refferb is still what I'd like to know about. The metal is solid on mine but rusty. The valves and stuff have seen better days, but good for now. If there was some place that would disassemble.. Resurface/paint the tank.. Replace valves/gauge with new.. For like $250(?).. I'd add that to my to do list for sure.
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

I'll try and get an answer for you this coming week on the refurb. Suburban Propane has a site in my area that I'll stop by and visit. I keep forgetting, but I'll remember harder this week! It's a large lot and they have all kinds of tanks sitting around as well as their trucks.
'02 Concourse where there's always a project going on...
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

I got a reply back from Manchester today. They asked me to send them a pic of my label so I sent what I posted a few replies back here. They quickly wrote back and said "The catalog number is 6820, this is the same tank you would need to order".
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Any explanation about how searching for catalog number 6820 doesn't seem to turn anything up? Or do you just ask them and then they have it?

At any rate, good to know!
1999 Concourse
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

Based on that info I did an internet search and came up with nothing. I wrote her back and asked if they could recommend a reseller or how much would they charge for one. I should know tomorrow.
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

Well, here's the answer I got when asked where could she point me to for a tank: "There might not be an on-line retailer. I would contact your nearest RV dealer for pricing."
BobW9

Post by BobW9 »

I know this is an old thread, but my propane tank is rusty, too, and I've thought off and on about replacing it. Thought I'd post this here, for anyone in the future.

Looking online just now I did find that Tarantin Industries, a wholesaler, does seem to have this tank. You have to register to login to their system to get a price or order, and while they do require a Company and Fax number, nowhere do they actually say they won't sell to individuals.

At the least, if you go to an RV place and want to have them replace it, you will be able to tell them who to call for the exact same tank as we currently have.

http://www.tarantin.com/items/6820
Item Id: 6820
Description: TANK,RV 12X42 ASME,LOWER 45

Bob
BobW9

Post by BobW9 »

Last week I ordered the 6820 replacement tank for my 2000 Concourse from Tarantin (a wholesale distributor). Turned out my shutoff is jammed open, and with the amount of rust on the entire tank, I decided to just do it.

I had to sign up on the Tarantin website, then one of their sales reps called me back (a very nice guy). Unfortunately, there is a 7-9 week lead time right now, so it will be September before I get it. This is the same time frame as when I called my local RV place - except they were going to charge me $1200 for the tank (no install at that price, just the tank), while I ended up paying $725 plus shipping of about $100 (he wasn't sure and wouldn't know for certain until it is shipped from Manchester, so guessed at $100 for my credit card charge now, as they need it upfront because these tanks are all special order from Manchester and shipped direct from there).

This is definitely more expensive than if you decide to replace it with the smaller 6817, which I believe someone here went with, but I wanted to keep the larger capacity of the current tank as I need it for the furnace in winter when dry camping.

#6820 12X42, 18.9 WC, 15.1 LP Cap, L45 fittings, $825 (including shipping)
#6817 12X32, 14.1 WC, 11.3 LP Cap, L45 fittings, $500 (including shipping, on Amazon)

Just thought I'd put this here, for anyone thinking of replacing their propane tank, so at least these two options can be compared.

Bob
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Great to keep this thread updated for everyone's reference - thanks.
BobW9 wrote: July 20th, 2018, 3:23 pm
This is definitely more expensive than if you decide to replace it with the smaller 6817, which I believe someone here went with, but I wanted to keep the larger capacity of the current tank as I need it for the furnace in winter when dry camping.
Since I don't have a propane refrigerator, the big tank is positively luxurious for basically furnace and cooking. I would not want to give it up, because of all the things one needs to stock up on (fuel, food, electricity, water), propane is the one that you basically need someone else for (who is out sick today, doesn't work weekends, just left at 5 p.m., scares you with their cavalier methods, or whatever). I love propane, but the fewer fills the better. So I hear you on keeping the large tank.
1999 Concourse