5Star Tuning

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
Skillet

5Star Tuning

Post by Skillet »

Anybody try this? There's a group buy over at IRV2.com and I'm in, but haven't paid yet (keep forgetting to call them while I'm at work). Looks like a decent price and I haven't heard anyone say anything bad about it. I just haven't heard anyone with a Chinook use it.
'02 Concourse where there's always a project going on...
Concourse

Re: 5Star Tuning

Post by Concourse »

I didn't understand what "5Star tuning" was so search around and did some reading.

Basically this a device sold by a company named 5Star Tuning that plugs into the vehicle's on board diagnostics (OBDII) connector located under the dash and reprograms the engine computer to adjust the engine air/fuel flow patterns and transmission shifting for better performance.

Group buy here:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f256/5-star- ... 44384.html

My two cents. I've been across the country twice (so 4 times) in my Chinook including the Rocky Mountains. The Chinook has the Ford V10 3 valve (3V) engine. It is stock Ford except for a previous owner put a K&N air filter in the stock air cleaner housing and an aftermarket quiet exhaust system on it. My cross country averages have been 10.25-11.6mpg which is pretty good for a 10,000 pound motorhome. It rarely downshifts and never hunts as the engine has a lot of hp/torque so I think that helps keep it in higher gears and not winding up or guzzling gas. Only once did the Chinook gasp for breath and that was in Colorado on I-70 at 11,000 feet elevation. At the 10,000 foot pass before that most cars and trucks were gasping and limping along at 15+mph while the Chinook was still accelerating. I bring this up because it is an extreme situation affecting most vehicles and lasted seconds but otherwise the little 21 foot Chinook has always had more power than needed. On steep down hills I like being able to touch the overdrive button to disengage and get more engine braking. Anyway, for me, power isn't a concern so I'll put the $400 in the gas tank. If it gave an appreciable fuel mileage savings that would make pay for itself I would be interested but the physics of a 10,000 pound RV are against it. However, many of the people in the Group Buy have a Class A beast with the same V10 engine so they can really use all of the help they can get with gaining power, better shifting, and hopefully some fuel savings.
2004 Chinook Concourse (Sold and missed)
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I feel the same way as you, Manitou. I wouldn't mind spending $400 on something I wanted for the rig, but I haven't felt any need for a tune (since I also don't think they would increase the mileage - if they did then I'd have one in a heartbeat). I have no complaints on the power/performance of the rig, other than sure, 15 mpg would be nice. I've also gallivanted around in the mountains, and sometimes tow a 4,500# trailer.

That said, I'm not one who wants to cruise up and down the passes at 65 mph. If I were maybe I'd want better power (?) (Not sure since I haven't tried.)

OTOH, it might be fun to play around with, and who knows, maybe it would work to good advantage --- so I don't write any of this to discourage you from buying one. Mike's 5-Star seems to have a positive following.
1999 Concourse
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

Yeah, I still have yet to read something bad about them. I'm on the fence because of the dollars. I know they are put in trucks and cars too but haven't heard of anyone in a Chinook or similar that has one. On the rv sites it's the class A's. I might just save that money for the moment. I heard they had a good discount on Black Friday last year so maybe I"ll hold out and get it this Black Friday, if they offer it. I did want to get new flooring so I'll put the money towards that. I appreciate the input.
'02 Concourse where there's always a project going on...