Tv Install

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
Skillet

Tv Install

Post by Skillet »

This weekend I finally got around to installing the flat screen and removing the old. I utilized my brother who is good at working with electricity and he converted my 19" Insignia tv to run off 12v. I'm sure everyone here knows but look for a tv that will do both regular as well as 12v. I found it listed on the box. We turned off the main breaker and I pulled the fuse that powers the tv in that area of the Chinook for good measure. He cut the wall wart off of the line that normally plugs in the tv to the wall. Then he cut the end that plugs into the back of the old tv. Interesting rectangle connection there I haven't seen before. Soldered the lines together and also checked the polarity on the plug that goes into the tv. Get that wrong and fry the tv. After making sure the tv works, unplugged and set about creating the mount at the old spot.
2 things: I didn't feel like going out to match the stain of the current wood. Everything I used I had at home, including the tv mount that I had gotten years ago for a tv that I didn't end up using it for. So it literally sat around collecting dust. I forgot to check the clearance for the center cabinet door that raises up. It hits the side of the tv if I have the tv facing the aisle. I didn't feel like removing the tv from the mount (lots of turns with the allen wrench in a confined area) so if I want to get into that center cabinet, I just turn the tv towards the window.
Next post shows a few pics.
Last edited by Skillet on July 12th, 2015, 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'02 Concourse where there's always a project going on...
Skillet

Re: Tv Install

Post by Skillet »

The 1st picture shows the hole after the old tv was taken out. Picture 2 is how that hole is going to be covered. Picture 3 is a cross-member I put in because I'm afraid the sides won't support the tv as it bounces around when I'm driving. My fear is that it would pull out, even though 3 of the 4 sides have wood behind it.
Attachments
Chinook Tv 3.jpg
Chinook Tv 2.jpg
Chinook Tv 1.jpg
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

Picture 4 is how the mount goes onto the wood and you can see the other screws I put in to hold it to the cross-member. Picture 5 is the hole I drilled for any cables. I'm considering a grommet or something but I'm not sure any wires will really move around that much. Pic 6 is a close-up after it's all together and getting signal over the air. Univision!
Attachments
Chinook Tv 4.jpg
Chinook Tv 5.jpg
Chinook Tv 6.jpg
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

And lastly pic 7, a little further back. I'm pleased with my placement and how the mount articulates on all axis. Between laying on the couch or sitting at the dinette, I have perfect views. I'll have to see how it'll bug me when I need access to the center cabinet. I don't really want to re-drill and I really don't go into that cabinet that often so I might keep things as is.
Attachments
Chinook Tv 7.jpg
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Enjoyed reading your write-up and seeing the photos. I've been project-starved here on the forum!

Hmmph about the TV and center door :( I removed the TV and use that space to store my bedding during the day. For now, I don't have a door on it, but when I first removed the TV I was thinking, "well of course, I'll just put a matching door to the center door on there, slick. I even have a spare strut." Then I tried it with a piece of cardboard. Surprise! It would not work as the door would hit the forward end of the over-couch cabinets. OTOH, a door that hinged on the drivers side and opened sideways would work just fine. Would never have guessed without trying them both.
1999 Concourse
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

Yeah, if it's one thing I should learn from you guys on here is always model in cardboard first!!
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

CAD :mrgreen:
1999 Concourse
Astrodokk

Post by Astrodokk »

My flat screen tv is a little smaller and I can open the center cabinet very easily. That is also where I put most of my bedding.
The PO used a smaller tv, which is just fine, but failed to cover up the rear opening very well. I can see into the cabinet and if I have something smallish back there, it will slide out that opening. I’m thinking of blocking it up, at least at the bottom.
Attachments
EC6F9DC5-7727-417F-8498-F351F86DC45B.jpeg
B58245A3-1905-4A63-B873-DF7640E4CEFE.jpeg
2000 Ford E350 415CI/6.8L V-10 Triton Chinook Concourse XL Club Lounge