Simple, effective, dry outside storage

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
Blue~Go

Re: Simple, effective, dry outside storage

Post by Blue~Go »

Hi Steve,

I like it cozy and if I were buying again, I'd get the 6. But the 3 was totally adequate, just not "T-shirt" warm at all times. I'm torn between permanent mount (fit and forget) and hose, which allows you to move it around. It's easy enough to set up with the hose, so I would still do it that way at first, to see how you like it, etc. One note is the legs that come with it take up a lot of space (and you can't put the back close to things because of that). I have seen where someone made a plywood "easel" attached to the back and that was far superior for both storage and usage. But the legs are quick and easy of course.

I bought a 9' hose with a female 3/8" flare fitting on each end, plus the Camco "elbow" that they sell. Plus a stop valve.

I used the propane stub that formerly fed the stock furnace, which ends on the inside with a female 3/8" flare fitting. From there I went to a stop valve with 3/8" male flare on each end, and then the hose with female flare (you may know this, but just use wrenches to tighten flares [often 13/16"], no tape or sealant - those are for pipe thread not flares), then the other end of the hose to the Camco elbow which fits right onto the stove male flare.

(I actually used a slightly more complicated set of fittings as that's what I had on hand and I wanted to make a U-turn, but I'm changing to what I mentioned above.)

Anyway, this puts the valve just inside the hole where the aft-facing furnace round vent was, so I can just reach in to manipulate it. I ran the hose out the aft/outboard/bottom corner of the forward seat base (cut away small bit of material there). This brings it out sort of under the table area, and I can move it into the aisle, over in front of the stove, or even back by the bathroom. I have a 9' hose, IIRC, but you may be able to use a shorter one.

Oddly, I found it a bit tricky to find a hose with two female 3/8" flare ends. However they are more common in marine use. Trident makes them, as does Dickinson. Also Sure Marine will make up custom hoses, although they are a bit more money. A Trident 5' hose is just under $30 on Amazon, just to give you an idea. I used a valve by something like Homewerks (yellow handle). I didn't want the long lever handle type as I needed it to operate in a compact area.

I also got the stove cover (for the freestanding model) as it is important to keep dust and pet hair out when the stove is not in use.

Do note that although Camco calls that elbow a "swivel" it only swivels until you tighten it in place. I'd call it "adjustable."
1999 Concourse
caconcourse

Post by caconcourse »

deppstein wrote:Thanks for response "Concourse"...I too have used the stock heater and it works fine when plugged-in..but I want something that I can use when not hooked-up. I have been leaning toward the Wave Catalytic, but now am looking at a "Blue Flame" type heater that supposedly heats the air rather than radiant heat. I'm trying to figure out whether I should vent to outside to minimize moisture issue. There is a catalytic unit out there called Platinum Cat (I think) that vents to the outside--I am looking into that. So far, have not seen a "Blue Flame" unit that vents. If you or anyone else knows of such an animal, I'd be interested in hearing about it.
David
Hi David,

I think you are mistaking the stock heater as the roof mounted heat pump vs the 16000 BTU furnace which runs on propane and 12V. You don't need to be hooked up to run the furnace, and it provides ample heat when boondocking, as Concourse pointed out. The heat pump is a second heater function in the Air conditioner, which can be used when plugged in. You can generally get through the night with the furnace, but you can recharge with solar or the generator during the day if needed.
Clay
2001 Concourse
Santa Barbara, CA
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Not speaking for David, but although I *could* run the stock furnace while boondocking, it was not ideal. For starters, it draws 3 amps. If it's on 40% of the time, that's something like 35 amps over the course of a day/night. The other thing is that is it noisy, and since it comes on and off it's annoying to me. I also tend to feel hot/cold/hot/cold as it cycles.

It does have advantages: It's already there, it's powerful, and it's easy.

I tend to boondock nearly all the time (I was last plugged in about a year ago). I also dislike running the generator, for both mine and other campers' peace and quiet. Even though I have a upgraded solar power system, I prefer to use the power for other things (the big one being a compressor refrigerator). (Of course the stock 50-watt panel couldn't keep up with furnace or refrigerator, as it was more like a battery maintainer for storage.) But I also just like quiet, steady heat. The Wave isn't the only answer, but it's one way.

Anyway, guessing David knows he can run the furnace while boondocking, but that he would prefer to have another (or an additional) source of heat for one or more of the reasons I mentioned. If I had not wanted the storage space, and if I spent winters in colder climates, I think I would have kept the stock furnace for quick warm-ups, then use the Wave for maintaining. As it is it's only a few (few as in around 28...) Robertson screws away from being reinstalled, but so far I haven't really been tempted.

To each their own, as always.
1999 Concourse
deppstein
**Forum Contributor**

Post by deppstein »

"Blue" is right regarding my thoughts on Wave, Plat Cat (vented catalytic), or Blue Flame...I'm looking to have something that won't drain battery over a couple of days of boondocking in Maine or New Hampshire when winter camping. Last winter I just found a campground that catered to snowmobilers and hooked-up and used a small electric heater that kept us quite cozy--but I'm really more interested in not having to rely on having electricity available.
Given the "tightness" of our rigs, I want to do a permanent mount and think that the best location would be on the bottom section of the hanging closet near the back door. It is recessed and out of the way due to the jutting out of the fridge and would give me easy access to the propane line that feeds the generator. I think the rig is small enough that a heater in that location would serve the entire area--what do others think??? Also, my reading on catalytic vs. Blue Flame convection makes me think that Blue Flame that heats the air would be better...but there seems to be more mention of a moisture problem with Blue Flame. I'm interested in hearing people's thoughts on that as well. And, finally, what do you folks have to say about the vented Plat Cat catalytic heaters vs. the Waves? Whichever way I ultimately go, I'll get as big a one as I can fit.
...nice to have others who know exactly what I'm talking about!
David
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Hi David,

On the propane line: Maybe your rig is different, but all the Chinooks I've seen have a gasoline powered generator. Not that that nixes your idea, but just that I don't think there's a propane line to the generator.

I think that location would be a bit "down the hall" for a Wave 3, just based on my usage. 'course you'd be toasty in the bathroom! I would definitely want to have a flexible hose and a hinged mount, so that it could face "up the hall" to the living area. Maybe with a Wave 6 the "far away" location would be fine.

On my rig there are two propane lines that come up behind the stove; one goes to the range and one to the back of the refrigerator. They are both attached to a "mutliplier" fitting with 3/8" flares (female on the line going up into the rig). They go up into the rig through holes in the floor behind the stove (copper line). Although you are not supposed to have any junctions in inaccessible places, perhaps you could "T" at the fridge joint, since it is in an accessible, outside-vented compartment (the access door to the fridge guts).

If you google up some truck camper installations, you'll see lots of Waves on cupboard doors, hinges, etc. (maybe you have already).

Another place I considered was just below the oven door (or same area if you don't have an oven). If it was hinged it could either face straight across (toward sink) or hinge to face the living area (thus also be out of your ankles way when cooking). Or hmm, maybe that wouldn't work with the dinette, never mind!

I even thought of "hanging" it from the center forward overcab area. Since it's radiant the height is fine, and then no blankets etc. could fall onto it. Maybe a bit visually obtrusive though.

What do you have in the lower cupboard area aft of the sink? Is your Premier one of the later ones that has an "ell" shaped counter like the Concourse? I had also thought of mounting mine in the area of the brown box, again with a hinge to allow it to face forward at times.

You can see why I ended up with the legs for starters! I think I'd still do it that way again, as it was an easy hookup and then you can move it around for real and see where you want it, ultimately. Or if you don't like it, you haven't done anything custom.
1999 Concourse
deppstein
**Forum Contributor**

Post by deppstein »

I'm beginning to think that we should migrate this post away from "outside storage" to Heating...just to make it easier for others to find and chime in on the topic...so will do that on my next posting on the subject.
In meantime..."Blue-Go" is absolutely right about my generator being gas...I just checked the make/model info--and all this time, I thought it was propane! Thanks "Blue" for setting me straight.
My late-model Premier (2004) is indeed one of the "upgraded" models with slanted top cabinets, "L-shaped" counter area around sink, and cherry finish...its one of the reasons I got to buy it--my wife said it wasn't ugly!
I have two drawers in the L aft of the double-sinks, with electrical fuses, converter, etc below.
I trust what "Blue" says about mounting a catalytic heater unit below the hanging closet door...I don't spend enough time in the bathroom to need the heat there. So, I'm back to the drawing board with regard to location of alternative heating. The bathroom wall above the "L" counter facing forward could work--though I'd have to figure out where to "pull" the propane line from...hot water heater perhaps under couch, into sink cabinet and up the wall from there???...Also would have to relocate the wooden shelf that is there now that holds four Nalgene Bottles (our handy fresh water supply). Building off of "Blue's" idea of mounting it somewhere on the front storage, I could mount it in the space that used to house the VCR...there is a nice piece of art there now that both my wife and I like (adds homey, cabin feeling along with the bookcase in place of TV on other side)...but still a possibility. I'm still not keen on portable...rig is small enough as it is without having to think of having to regularly move things around to make it work...especially for an old guy like me who is prone to at least one bathroom trip a night :)
I've also discovered that the Platinum Cat that I was looking at is too big for mounting anywhere I'm thinking of...and while the Blue Flame (Empire, I think) is still an option, I continue to lean toward the Wave if I can get it to face the right direction. All to say that I will continue to "cogitate" on it all and keep you posted.
David
jeanie19
**Forum Contributor**

Post by jeanie19 »

Following the discussion. I have the same quandary, where to place a non-electric heater for boondocking and how to power it. I have the dinette model 2000 Concourse with no unused wall or floor space for a heater except maybe under the dinette which would make the controls very hard to access. I saw somewhere that the small propane cylinders can be refilled from a regular propane tank, which would make a free-standing like Mr. Heater Buddy workable without the waste of the disposable small cylinders. Placed between the front seats or at the rear door would put the heat where I want it. Has anyone done that? Thoughts?
Thanks!
Jeanie K.
2000 Chinook Concourse
Plank flooring, Wave heater, CO cubby
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I used a Mr. Buddy type heater for a couple of months last late fall, before I got the Wave 3 set up. I tended to set it in front of the stove facing forward. Reason is because that space is a bit wider, and no way could my blankets fall in front of it just in case I fell asleep. I had the type that just fits a one-gallon cylinder and is sort of like a sunflower on top. A one-gallon cylinder went pretty fast though. Like less than 24 hours. So that was a pain. It also had a slight "burning propane fuel" smell - not catalytic, so that may be why. That said, it was a whole lot better than not being cozy and warm!

I've been thinking about your idea of the Wave 3 between the driver/passenger seats. On the one hand, that's an ideal location as it faces "down" the rig, and puts the living area closest to the heat. On the other hand, when it's cold I tend to close off the cab with a blanket, as it's not well insulated and I don't need more space to heat.

I'm giving a bit more thought to the upper cabinet area. It's nothing special to look at, but I wonder if it could be mounted on the back of a hinged door.... Hmm....

Actually I might have mounted mine in front of the "brown box," hinged to face forward. Except I removed the brown box and am going to have drawers there.

Another place to consider is the panel just below the refrigerator. The Wave doesn't tend to throw heat "up and back," so I don't think it would really heat the refrigerator. Again with a hinge to face forward.

It's almost enough to make one go back to just the stock furnace! But the quiet/cozy/no power heat is sure nice.

I'm still also cogitating on a small propane fireplace. In the meantime I have the Wave on legs (but I agree it's a pain to have to trip over it, so not ideal except for trying various locations out).
1999 Concourse