Ford van consoles/replacement, 1997 and newer chassis.

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Ford van consoles/replacement, 1997 and newer chassis.

Post by chin_k »

I found them. Both wires under the carpet, and go under the seal, and into the engine compartment. Both terminals were dangled in there has the plastic portion removed, so they probably touched each other or other metal part, and blown the fuse. I guess the previous owner brought it to some very professional mechanics :roll:
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Geez, Klassy :roll: Well at least you have it sussed out now and can proceed how you want to. Yay.
1999 Concourse
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

Kind of off topic, but on the issue of Klassy mechanic... I looked under the chassis and noticed a orange colored handle near the dually axis. It was dirty, and looked like it was under there for a long time. But the color and shape made me curious since it does not look like it belongs under there. So I got under my knee, and reached for it, trying to see if I can figure out what part of the chassis it is. After a few wiggles, out came a slip joint piler. :roll:
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Geez Louise!

When I was RV shopping last (ended up with my Chinook, but this was mid-search), I looked at another brand of Class C, one that's got an excellent reputation. It was about ten years old, and had just been back to the factory to have the roof seams re-sealed. I popped up on the roof to have a look, and not only was the sealant practically trowelled on, but there was a (now) rusty putty knife still stuck to one of the sealant mounds. Guess the break whistle blew? :roll:
1999 Concourse
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I was just idly scrolling through my eBay watch list, when I ran across a "watch" for an item I already purchased and figured someone here might [also] want.

It's a brand new (from a Ford place) console of the type that I labeled "Common new console" on the previous page of this thread. Basically the most recent one. This is the fourth Ford van console I've had (the small "cup launcher" one in a previous van; the Beverage Mate that came in my Chinook; the 2003-era one that IS really nice (which I bought on CL back when they were easily available) - which I replaced the Beverage Mate with; and then this one that I kind of bought on a whim (because, ooh, new Ford stock!) and which I'm using now.

My two favorites are the really large one (the 2003 era one) and this one. Back in the day (when I bought the 2003 one) these were cheap and plentiful; but now they are harder to find and $$$. I thought this one ($169 plus free shipping now, might have been $149 when I bought but not sure) was a great deal since it's OEM/new-in-box. It was shipped promptly from Tasca Ford and came very well packaged and in perfect condition.

The slight advantage to this one over the even more commodious 2003 type (which I also really like) is that this one has space for you to swing your toes through going to the back (the 2003 one goes right to the floor). This one also has really generously sized cup holders.

Any of these consoles will pop right onto the Ford doghouse used from 1997-present (presuming 1997 chassis). The beginning of this thread shows more. Basically, five minutes (if that), no tools.

Now it says there is only one left. Shoot, wish I had posted when there were a few more. If you are interested, eBay item number is 281528331063

Here are a couple of photos of the type:
newer style 1.jpg
newer style 2.jpg
newer style 2.jpg (26.19 KiB) Viewed 3579 times
No affiliation, etc., although I did buy this same console from the same seller and am very happy with it.
Last edited by Blue~Go on February 19th, 2018, 11:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1999 Concourse
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

I got the scary clown face console from the junk yard a few months ago. The beverage mate works, but there is no cups from the previous owner. I removed it, and sold it to a fellow forum member. I reinstalled the clip on the dog house when I install the larger console, but I guess I don't really need it. I used two rivets, I think.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

The scary clown face one :lol: is the one I'm calling the "2003" large one. Ha, it's totally a clown face, isn't it? I'm somewhat split between that one and the one I just pointed to on eBay as being my favorites. I'm using the eBay one now, so I guess I do have a slight preference for it.

Where did you find the bottom hold-down clip? At the junkyard with the console? Mine had apparently been removed and cast aside by Chinook (as Beverage Mate instructed them to do in their installation guide :evil: ) and Ford parts said it was not an available item (hmmph). I've just gone without it. It was zero problem with the clown face console, as it sits right down on the floor. It's still 99% fine with the one I have now, but I wouldn't mind the clip either. (Somehow I never seem to find pick-n-pulls that have one to grab these days.)
1999 Concourse
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

When I got the console off the van in the junk yard, I remembered to get the clip. It was riveted onto the dog house, and I even brought a drill with me for specifically for it. I just used a flat screwdriver to pry it off, however, and drill out the rivets when I got home.
Astrodokk

Post by Astrodokk »

Wow, these suckers are expensive on ebay now!
I'll see if there's a PicNPull around these parts. Over $200 for a new one on ebay! I would like to change mine out but it has to be more reasonable than that. There's one for $99 plus shipping but it's in horrible condition.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-NEW-Center ... %7Ciid%3A1
2000 Ford E350 415CI/6.8L V-10 Triton Chinook Concourse XL Club Lounge
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Yes, they got totally ridiculous after they stopped making the vans in around 2015. Used to be like $35 all day long. Shoulda stocked up :roll:

I did find a 2014 style new in the box on eBay being sold by a Ford dealer (that I bought), and at the time I posted a link because they had more.... let me see if I can find that link in my eBay and if there are any left. I think the 2014 type and the "big clown face" (2005-ish) are my two favorites. But anything is better than the Beverage Mate (IMO, I'm sure there are people who love them). The 1997 one was not so great either (minimal storage space and cup launchers vs. cup holders).
1999 Concourse