Microwave to Convection/microwave ?

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
SMan

Microwave to Convection/microwave ?

Post by SMan »

As I mentioned in a different thread I removed the sharp microwave and attempted to get the display working without success. Noticing the unit was made in 2002 I decided I didn't want to put money in a repair so I've been looking at both microwaves and units that also have convection. I have found a number of microwave only units that will work with my current trim kit. Clearance issues on conv/micro units have me concerned as most require 4" min on the side and 8" above and behind. It's the side clearances that are the issue as I can only come up with 2". I could line the entire enclosure with "Peel and Seal" like I have in numerous home and automotive projects that would mitigate to some extent. I also found a left side venting Samsung unit that I could duct to the wall just below the upper cabinet in the dinette area.

Has anyone tried this? I've seen a few threads on other forums about this upgrade but noting specifically related to the Chinook.

(BTW I've seen both Dometic and Couture for RV's but the ratings are poor and will stay away from them)
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
SMan

Re: Microwave to Convection/microwave ?

Post by SMan »

Well after much investigation, measuring the opening, and concerns over safety I've decided to not install a convection microwave. There isn't enough clearance for required any model I've researched. We mostly reheat anyway. I did find a Sharp 1.1 cu ft 1000w regular microwave that will work easily with the existing trim kit.

Here's the opening on my 2004 Premier.

Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

That looks very familiar! Didn't really change from '99

I wrote about mine in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=45&hilit=microwave
1999 Concourse
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

Since I'm in the same microwave situation, what model Sharp is it that fits? Not having a display is kind of a pain, but I'm making it work for now. I'll hold out to see if there are any Black Friday sales on micros.
'02 Concourse where there's always a project going on...
jeanie19
**Forum Contributor**

Post by jeanie19 »

The Sharp Convection Microwave Oven R-820BC is the model that fits the microwave cabinet trim kit on my 2000 Concourse. Mine had been mistreated and was replaced direct from Sharp a few years ago. The JS model is free-standing rather than built-in.
Jeanie K.
2000 Chinook Concourse
Plank flooring, Wave heater, CO cubby
SMan

Post by SMan »

Well I installed it this evening and it looks great and was easy to adapt the existing trim kit to. I went with the Sharp R-309YK at $110. Pleased with the result. Please pardon the poor ipad photos.

Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

Thanks to both of you's! Makes my search easier and I like the price.
'02 Concourse where there's always a project going on...
Xanann

Post by Xanann »

I'll throw in my $.02, and I apologize for bumping...

When we were shopping for our future fifth wheel (first one), we had chosen the Reflection 26RL. It had a microwave oven and gas stove/cooktop. I loved that the cabinet next to the microwave was large (not a whole lot of big spaces to store big things in the kitchen). When we actually made the purchase (at a local RV show), not paying attention, the microwave is now a microwave/convection combo. And the cabinet next to it is half the size it was.

I don't use a microwave for much more than reheating foods, or zapping frozen things. I have no clue about how to use a convection oven. I prefer using a "real" oven (gas or electric).

One question I have is - inside the micro/convection oven is a rectangular shelf about half-way up. Do I have to removed that everytime I just want to use the microwave? I have read the instruction book twice all the way through, and it doesn't address it.

There's a big glass (revolving) tray for the microwave. And a round shelf with legs (I think for the convection oven). But I have no clue what the attached rectangular shelf is for. The instruction book says "for microwave cooking", but it seems that's not right. I've always been told that metal in microwaves is not a thing that you want to do.