Wave 6 Heater Install

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
kdarling

Re: Wave 6 Heater Install

Post by kdarling »

Of course, just having a disconnectable hose, means there's already going to be inside gas connections. So it's too late to worry over such :)

A suggestion after seeing the way the hose sticks out, would be to add a right angle quick connect piece on the end of the hose nearest the stove. That way it'll run down more to the side of the kitchen, than to jut out in the middle.

Cheers! Kev
1994 Concourse dinette, Ford 7.5L (460 V8)
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

kdarling wrote:Of course, just having a disconnectable hose, means there's already going to be inside gas connections. So it's too late to worry over such :)
That's not the same thing though. There will always be at least one connection, to the appliance. And yes, in this case there is the connection to the quick connect, and then the connection to the appliance. BUT, those are both out in the open (or just inside a cupboard where you can get at them). And presumably the instructions for a shut off valve (page three of the Wave manual) just upstream of the Wave (or the quick connect in this case) were followed, so there is that too - should be just inside the cupboard. A leak that close to in the rig would be noticeable (and would be able to reach the propane detector) and so you'd just shut off the valve.

But what I was talking about was the possible addition of three joints (a Tee has three joints) in a hidden, inaccessible area behind a wall panel. (The false wall that is behind the stove cupboard and/or the oven if one has an oven.) That's not recommended for probably obvious reasons (you can't get in there to test for leaks, nor might you notice a leak, and the propane detector can't "sniff" in that location). jeanie is happy with her installation, so that's great. But I still wanted to mention it for others who maybe didn't know, or would be more comfortable doing it the way with no extra hidden joints. Chinook did it the latter way when they built the rig, for which I give them kudos.
1999 Concourse
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

Agreed about hidden joints, if they actually did that behind the wall.

However, I'm guessing that perhaps the shop only ran the hose up the wall, just to get past the counter... and then continued into the back of the stove? (If that's possible. I think you know more about the plumbing there!)

Jeanie, can you tell if it was teed off at the rear of the cook top?

Curiosity killed the cat; satisfaction brought it back.
1994 Concourse dinette, Ford 7.5L (460 V8)
jeanie19
**Forum Contributor**

Post by jeanie19 »

The LP lines are not visible in the rear of the cabinet, all that I can see is that the new line to the quick connect comes down from above and out through the hole in the back of the cabinet. The work order says cut LP line and flared both ends, so sounds like the new connection is somewhere below the cooktop connection. As it's a professional job and leak and pressure tests were done, I'm satisfied. Being aware of the issue of inside connections is good, especially for future do-it-yourself installers.
Jeanie K.
2000 Chinook Concourse
Plank flooring, Wave heater, CO cubby