Outdoor propane source?

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Outdoor propane source?

Post by Scott »

I like to cook outside whenever possible to reduce smells and moisture in my rig. It would be cool to have an external quick-release propane coupler so I can easily connect a small burner. Something like the Camco 59853

Has anyone done this in a Chinook? Care to share your setup?

It might be better/easier/more practical to just keep using my standalone butane burner, but I wanted to toss around the idea and hear what you all think.

Happy Holidays!

Scott
1994 Premier
kyidletime

Re: Outdoor propane source?

Post by kyidletime »

It sounds to me like it would be a pretty easy thing to do, but I realize that easy for me might be difficult for others. My background in plumbing as well as LP and natural gas give me a definite advantage. Personally, I think that it would be a great idea if you like to do outdoors grilling.

The quick disconnect that you mentioned would do the trick, however if you do use something like it, I would definitely want a way to secure it in the off position.

Alan in Ohio
Alan Croy
Hamilton, Ohio
1995 Chinook Concourse
Upgraded Converter/Charger System.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

One thing to check (and I'm not much of a griller, so maybe it's already clear). But anyway, with other stoves I've used, there can be ones that expect high pressure gas, and others that want low pressure gas. Sometimes there is a regulator built into the appliance, or not. For example, the little green disposable canisters are high pressure (no regulator), so anything you attach to it wants to be something that is expecting a high pressure source.

Everything in our rigs is running on low pressure gas, because the lines to the inside of the rig are all attached after the regulator (which is the sort of bell shaped thing outside by the shut off handle). So if your grill wants high pressure gas (maybe has its own regulator), you'd want to tap in before the regulator, I believe. Or after the regulator if it wants low pressure gas (the gas comes out of the tank as high pressure, and the regulator makes it low pressure, so you have options).

kyidletime, I hope you correct any mistakes in what I said!
1999 Concourse
kyidletime

Post by kyidletime »

You covered it pretty well Blue.
Alan Croy
Hamilton, Ohio
1995 Chinook Concourse
Upgraded Converter/Charger System.
HoosierB
**Forum Contributor**

Post by HoosierB »

Scott wrote:I like to cook outside whenever possible to reduce smells and moisture in my rig. It would be cool to have an external quick-release propane coupler so I can easily connect a small burner. Has anyone done this in a Chinook? Care to share your setup?
During my remodel of the galley, the RV service center removed the fridge LPG feed ( I'll be using an AC/DC refer) at the tank and added a quick-release fitting there. Also supplied me with a 6' hose with the proper fittings. Let the grilling begin! :D
"Wanda" – '01 Chinook Concourse XL V10
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Scott »

Awesome!!! Thanks for sharing.

I'm envious. Hope to have something similar set up by Spring.

Do you have a photo by chance? Probably not much to see, but thought I'd ask anyway.
1994 Premier
HoosierB
**Forum Contributor**

Post by HoosierB »

Scott,

No pics right now.
FYI: The tech that did the work suggested this setup instead of running a line to a coupling that you would access thru the body (like the small outdoor shower door) thus eliminating potential hose scrapes to the outer shell.
"Wanda" – '01 Chinook Concourse XL V10
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

HoosierB wrote: During my remodel of the galley, the RV service center removed the fridge LPG feed ( I'll be using an AC/DC refer) at the tank and added a quick-release fitting there.
That's interesting (emboldening mine), because my Concourse has one feed that leads back to both the stove and the refrigerator. This feed has two lines coming off just beneath the floor (under the stove, near the outer wall); one goes to the stove, and the other goes (went) to the fridge. The lines that come off are the same copper lines that come up through the floor behind the "false" back to the stove compartment (mine was behind the propane oven). The refrigerator line then turns (inside) and goes aft into the refrigerator compartment. The joints where the one feed turns into the two lines are thus outside. But, coming from the tank it's just one line, until you get to right under the stove area.

Here is a photo I took for something else (hence not that great) that shows it. I'm more-or-less under the generator, looking forward as I take the photo.
propane to stove and fridge.jpg
1999 Concourse
FatBuoy
**Forum Contributor**

Post by FatBuoy »

Dredging this up from 2016. Has anyone tacked this since this post surfaced? Would beat the heck out of carrying/storing a 20lb tank, or the small one lb bottles. We have both a grill, and a propane fire pit. The pit would have to have the larger lp reservoir, as it uses quite a bit more gas than the grill.

Just curious about where anyone has tapped in.
2001 Premier aka "Anookie"
Dallas, TX area
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Scott »

I bought all the parts and never ended up installing them. I came to the conclusion that I much prefer the portability of the one pound bottles. For your pit, I can see how that might not be the best approach., though.

Here's a pic of my current setup. The burner was salvaged from an old turkey fryer. And the wok ring is from a Weber charcoal starter chimney that I cut in half. I love it.
Attachments
20200602_095803.jpg
1994 Premier