Clear coat delamination fix.

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
rmasontaylor

Clear coat delamination fix.

Post by rmasontaylor »

Hello all,

I had some free time over the weekend and wanted to share some pics of my delamination fix. I have several spots on the concourse where the clear coat is separating from the paint and have considered even repainting the entire unit at a cost of $3,500-$5,500. After reading up on multiple forums and watching some vids, I decided to have at it with the spraymax 2k aerosol spray can before I really bite the bullet.
I first gave it a sectional wash, let it dry, and carefully removed all the delamination pieces. Washed the tiny clear coat pieces off with damp sponge, dried and made sure there weren't any more dangling clearcoats. After a microfiber wipe, I sprayed each section 3 times with 10 minute between coats. This section took an entire canister...a whopping $24.
Im no painter by any means but I think it turned out decent for the price and so I thought it'd be a help for some of you who might also be on the fence about this issue but don't want or are not ready to sell the farm to get it nice and shiny. Its a bit hard to see the gloss because of the bushes in the reflection but its nice, thick and uniform.

The whole thing took about an hour or two and i've ordered couple more of them to do the rest of the spots left.

enjoy
Attachments
20160214_103013.jpg
20160213_145552.jpg
20160213_143256.jpg
kdarling

Re: Clear coat delamination fix.

Post by kdarling »

Wow, looks really nice. Good job!

That's the first "cheap" solution I've seen that worked at all.

it'll be very handy to others.

Qs: Did you mask off the stripes? Did you do any sanding?

Thanks!
1994 Concourse dinette, Ford 7.5L (460 V8)
rmasontaylor

Post by rmasontaylor »

kdarling wrote:Wow, looks really nice. Good job!

That's the first "cheap" solution I've seen that worked at all.

it'll be very handy to others.

Qs: Did you mask off the stripes? Did you do any sanding?

Thanks!
here's some more pics so you can get a better idea.
Some say I can so called "wetsand" to get it down to mirror finish but its plenty gloss for me compared to the original untouched sections so im gonna keep it as is.
I'm very satisfied with the results considering its cost, convenience and and results.

* pic 1 and 3 are before pics...2 is a close up after.

Enjoy!
Attachments
20160213_145602.jpg
20160214_095546.jpg
20160213_151007.jpg
rmasontaylor

Post by rmasontaylor »

and some more..

note that there are two different color tones.

pics 1 and 3 are lighter color section with windex bottle 5" from the surface...pic 2 is my hand also 5" from the surface. All pics in this post are of the surface completely dry and hardened. If you look carefully you can see the original delamination section and a bare able amount of orange peel effect.
Attachments
20160215_074452.jpg
20160215_073840.jpg
20160215_074418.jpg
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Scott »

Just curious about the surface finish of your rig… is it gelcoated fiberglass, painted graphics, and clear coat on top of everything?

Looks really sharp, by the way.

My 94 Premier is just gelcoat and vinyl graphics, and has very little sheen.
1994 Premier
rmasontaylor

Post by rmasontaylor »

Scott wrote:Just curious about the surface finish of your rig… is it gelcoated fiberglass, painted graphics, and clear coat on top of everything?

Looks really sharp, by the way.

My 94 Premier is just gelcoat and vinyl graphics, and has very little sheen.
Its gel coated fiberglass, painted/vinyl graphics and clear coat on
graphics only.
jeanie19
**Forum Contributor**

Post by jeanie19 »

Your clearcoat repair looks great! How did you remove the delaminated layer? I tried picking off the loose clearcoat pieces, that was not at all rewarding. Then gently scraped with a rubber scraper and it seemed to scar the paint layer so I stopped.
Jeanie K.
2000 Chinook Concourse
Plank flooring, Wave heater, CO cubby
rmasontaylor

Post by rmasontaylor »

jeanie19 wrote:Your clearcoat repair looks great! How did you remove the delaminated layer? I tried picking off the loose clearcoat pieces, that was not at all rewarding. Then gently scraped with a rubber scraper and it seemed to scar the paint layer so I stopped.
mostly I just used my finger nails.
the loose layers are so thin if you scratch it as you would to a sticker you're trying to remove, it enough to remove the pieces but not enough to cut into the paint. I removed all the loose pieces as much as possible to avoid burying the unsightly loose piece under the new coating.
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

A new razor blade scraper works well at quickly removing the blistered edges of peeling clearcoat.

Keep the surface wet with a soapy solution for lubrication and scrape very lightly at a very slim angle so you don't dig into the paint itself.
1994 Concourse dinette, Ford 7.5L (460 V8)