Cabinet Gas Struts

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
Skillet

Cabinet Gas Struts

Post by Skillet »

Ordered replacements for all of them since they barely work. Finally got them in and installed yesterday. What a difference! I did 20lb on the small cabinets and I think ordered 30 for the large, center one. They screwed that one up and sent me a 10 pounder. Of course I didn't try the install until Friday evening so the place I ordered it from is closed for the weekend...
'02 Concourse where there's always a project going on...
caconcourse

Re: Cabinet Gas Struts

Post by caconcourse »

Skillet wrote:Ordered replacements for all of them since they barely work. Finally got them in and installed yesterday. What a difference! I did 20lb on the small cabinets and I think ordered 30 for the large, center one. They screwed that one up and sent me a 10 pounder. Of course I didn't try the install until Friday evening so the place I ordered it from is closed for the weekend...
Hi Skillet,

I just replaced all of mine, but used 10# on the small ones and 20# on the large one. There is plenty of holding power even on the big door, so you could probably just swap the 10# with one of the 20# and use it on the big door. They do make a huge difference from the worn out ones!

Clay
Clay
2001 Concourse
Santa Barbara, CA
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

Not a bad plan and maybe I'll do that. I noticed that the 10lb doesn't lift the door *all* the way up like the 20's. But it's still higher than the old ones ever did. I thought the big door had a larger (length) piston than the other doors...
caconcourse

Post by caconcourse »

Skillet wrote:Not a bad plan and maybe I'll do that. I noticed that the 10lb doesn't lift the door *all* the way up like the 20's. But it's still higher than the old ones ever did. I thought the big door had a larger (length) piston than the other doors...
Hi Again,

I just went out and checked mine again, and I misspoke. My little ones are 20# and the big one is #30. They are the same size though, and they are a little on the strong side. The big door pulled right off the hinge when I checked it, because the adjustment screw was a little loose.

Sorry for the misinformation,
Clay
Clay
2001 Concourse
Santa Barbara, CA
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Mine are also the same physical size (smaller doors and larger door). I replaced my smaller door ones like for like with 20-pounders. I also replaced the center door with a stock sized 30-pounder, but it was a bit sluggish (the new one). I actually think it was defective, but the company was a pain to communicate with (nice, but sloooooooow), so when they sent me a 40-pounder as a replacement I just went with it. It does work fine, but I think a good 30-er would also have been fine. But as far as physical fit they are all interchangeable.
1999 Concourse
Manitou
Site Admin

Post by Manitou »

Any links to where to buy some guys? I attached a tv to the big door and need one stronger than stock still.
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

I ordered from: http://www.rvandvansurplus.com/ I would suggest that you make sure they are in stock. I've ordered other items from there and had no troubles. But this order was actually placed in November and I got them last week. I was not in a hurry and called them twice a month for updates. He was getting them from overseas and they were badly back-ordered. Again, I didn't mind and could have cancelled my order at any time, but I definitely wasn't going to go beyond March. I'm going to call them tomorrow about the 1 wrong piston.
caconcourse

Post by caconcourse »

Manitou wrote:Any links to where to buy some guys? I attached a tv to the big door and need one stronger than stock still.
I ordered from here and they came promptly. Price was good.

https://columbiastruts.com/home.php

Our struts are part no CS750-xx where xx is the pounds of force. (CS750-20 for small doors, CS750-30 for large door original sizes). Available in 10, 40 and 70 pound sizes as well.

Clay
Clay
2001 Concourse
Santa Barbara, CA