Lagun Table mod

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
HoosierB
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Lagun Table mod

Post by HoosierB »

PPS: Maybe this is just too "leg is there when I don't want it to be," but one thought is that if the leg were mounted near the aisle, you could also swing the table to be used by the couch person(s). No idea if that is anything you would even want to do though (and maybe that aisle space is already small and cramped enough on a dinette plan 21-footer... yeah... probably never mind![/quote]

My "other" winter project will be to ditch the jack-knife sofa and do a "extendable/sliding" sofa similar to the Mike Norris videos. Then mount an additional Lagun bracket to the aisle side of the frame, opposite of the dinette booth for more versatility.

I do like your "box" idea between the dinette seats for the bracket mount... not too obtrusive... plus, the added storage.

decisions... decisions
"Wanda" – '01 Chinook Concourse XL V10
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

That's exactly why I got the second mount plate. In case I want to also make a mount for the table on the "other" (in my case that would be the non-sofa) side.

I changed my sofa around to function in a different way (suited to my use) and I couldn't be happier with the comfort. The Flexsteel sofa lasted about one night for me. I may build a different version this winter, but the concept test (fancy way to say functional mockup :D) has been comfortable for a couple of years now. Basically what I have is a sofa wherein the seat cushion is around 26" wide all the time (this is the amount of exposed seat cushion with the backrest in place at the ergonomic slant). This way I can nap on it without touching anything. Actually I sleep on it this way too. Then I have a way where I can slide the base support out to accomodate the backrest lying flat (to make it the original full opened width. The one thing I don't like is a leg on the floor, because in my last camper van that had made marks on the floor (and even dents/cuts in the linoleum). So I made mine to cantilever and not need a floor leg. Granted if someone weighs 280# and wants to jump on the edge when its extended it's probably not good enough for that; but it's fine for normal use. I copied this idea from a boat I once spent time on (I copied it crudely; may make it nicer this winter).

I don't tend to ever sit on a sofa "normal wise" (or if I do my legs are up on the couch or a stool), but usually I sit lengthwise and lean back on the end. The wider seat might not be very comfortable for folks who like to sit the prescribed way (too deep).

It's somewhat comforting to know I'm not the only one slightly boggled by all the possible Lagun mounting variations. I mean, I get the concept, but visualizing all the permutations in my mind... whew.
1999 Concourse
HoosierB
**Forum Contributor**

Post by HoosierB »

BG: I'm drifting off topic here, for sure... but I would be very interested in seeing pics of your "concept test sofa". It sounds less complicated of a build and achieves the same results I'm looking for. The only mod I've made to the existing sofa is removal of that fabric covered lower facia board. With that gone, I have at least an additional 6+ inches of "toe space" when maneuvering in the aisle.

And yes... my mind is boggled by the concept of the Lagun mounting variations. But it's still pretty cool. ;)
"Wanda" – '01 Chinook Concourse XL V10