Chinook RV Forum

It is currently December 17th, 2017, 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Plasti Dip
PostPosted: August 8th, 2014, 3:56 pm 

I wasn't a big fan of the wood trim around the dash, so I removed it and sprayed it with Plasti Dip.

If you have never worked with Plasti Dip, access YouTube and search DipYourCar... it is crazy what you can do with this stuff.... and unlike paint, if you get tired of it, just peel it off.

Before

After

background-color: #C1CAD2

Post subject: Re: Plasti Dip
PostPosted: August 8th, 2014, 4:16 pm 

Whoa, cool mod! I'm with you: The wood dash trim just seems sort of "corny/conversion van/1980's" to me. I know it's nice/real wood, and I bet some folks really love it, but it's just not me.

I was thinking about a couple of options: One, just getting a "plain old" dash panel from a junkyard and putting that in (and storing the wooden dash away); or, two, removing the wood and just putting the screws back in the holes on the underlying dash panel, for sort of a "Steampunk lite" look.

I think I like your idea better than either of those. Hey, you're "storing" the wooden panels right on the rig, and protecting them from harm, too 8-) Meanwhile, you get the more simple look. Coupl'a questions:

- What color Plasti-Dip is that you used?
- Did you also do the pieces on the armrests around the window switches and etc.? Or were those not wooden-ized on your rig?
- Have you tried peeling it back off just to see how the wood beneath would look then?

So glad you posted this.

PS: One more question I just thought to add: What did the underlying dash look like? Was it just the usual Ford dash panel, only now with holes where the screws were that hold on the wooden panels? Was there glue or something as well? Do you think a person could just remove the wood, put the screws back into the underlying dash's holes, and run with it that way? Or was there some reason that wouldn't work, which became apparent once you had the wood panels off?

PostPosted: August 9th, 2014, 3:45 pm 
Site Admin

Awesome. I love plasti dip. I did my truck wheels with it a few years ago and it's still holding up good. With the winters here, that's saying something.
I am going to plastidip the wheel simulators on the nookie and see how that looks. As for the wood, I'd really like to refinish it all in a charcoal colored stain. Sounds like a lot of work though.

PostPosted: August 13th, 2014, 5:10 am 

Blue~Go wrote:
- What color Plasti-Dip is that you used?

I used black. It matched the existing dash very well.
Blue~Go wrote:
- Did you also do the pieces on the armrests around the window switches and etc.? Or were those not wooden-ized on your rig?

Yeah, that wood stuff is/was everywhere. I Plasti Dip'd it all.
Blue~Go wrote:
- Have you tried peeling it back off just to see how the wood beneath would look then?

Yes, It peals off as if it were never applied.
Blue~Go wrote:
PS: One more question I just thought to add: What did the underlying dash look like? Was it just the usual Ford dash panel, only now with holes where the screws were that hold on the wooden panels? Was there glue or something as well? Do you think a person could just remove the wood, put the screws back into the underlying dash's holes, and run with it that way? Or was there some reason that wouldn't work, which became apparent once you had the wood panels off?

The underlying dash looked just like a stock basic van dash, just the basic Ford dash panel, however it was filthy behind those wood accents.
You could remove the wood and replace the screws, but I am not sure how that would look, but there is no reason you couldn't do it that way.

PostPosted: August 13th, 2014, 8:07 am 

Thanks for the follow up and answers to my questions. I think what I'll do is have some Plasti-Dip on hand before I start the project. Then when I remove the wood I can see what it would look like to simply put the screws back in place on the underlying stock material. If that looks good, I'll store the wood away for a future owner who might like it; if I don't like that look, I'll go with the Plasti-Dip. I never would have thought of that if you had not started this thread and posted photos. Thanks!

I hope more Chinook folks will post some mods. Hey, I made a whole thread about trash receptacles, so clearly no subject is too trivial :mrgreen:

PostPosted: August 13th, 2014, 9:28 am 

If/when you apply it, a few tips:

1. Plan on applying 4 coats.
2. 1st coat, make it a light coat.
3. Let it dry between coats.
4. There will be small drops/drips/lumps now and then as it comes out of the can. The stuff is kinda self-leveling so don't worry about the small "dots".

PostPosted: August 13th, 2014, 1:33 pm 

Thanks, appreciate the tips :!: