Renogy Solar

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
Manitou
Site Admin

Re: Renogy Solar

Post by Manitou »

Didn't mean nerding out in a negative way. I do it all the time.
As for the batteries, helps if I quote the right brand. They are Duracell 31DTMAGM's and got them at SAMs club. I messaged Duracell just now for charge details. I had emailed progressive dynamics for any changes I should make to the charger when I got them. They stated the default settings were fine.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Oh those Sam's Club Duracells seem like a great deal. Sadly (for some of us) they are only available basically east of the Mississippi (unless something has changed very recently).

I think I looked up the charge parameters of those a while back for another Chinooker (or maybe he looked them up). Let me see if I can find them. (It does matter, I believe. Some chargers are not adjustable, and that could be one reason why a seller of that type would say standard settings are fine. I don't know if that applies to you though - just thinking out loud.)
1999 Concourse
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Okay, stil only available in AL, CT, DE, FL, GA, IL, IN, KY, MA, MD, ME, MI, MS, NC, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, SC, TN, VA, AND WV.

I tried to look up charging specs (I don't know any AGM's that are not particular about them) and could only find:

"For additional questions or concerns regarding this product, please contact the Manufacturer's Customer Service Department at 1.888 - 844 - 7704"

There may be something here, but it didn't like my browser so I can't be sure.

https://www.duracell.com/en-us/products/

What you would like to know so you can set your charger up properly are these three things:

1) Absorption voltage (sometimes called Acceptance voltage). Will likely be something like 14.4 volts or on that ballpark.

2) Float voltage. Will likely be something in the 13.4 volt range.

3) Factor of change for each degree above or below 77ºF (the specs for #1 and #2 will be at 77ºF). This will be something like -3.50 mV/°C/cel. With this figure you can adjust your temperature compensation so that it adds or subtracts the correct volts for each degree above or below 77ºF. The rate varies between batteries. As you can imagine, having the batteries in an outside compartment makes this even more important (they certainly aren't going to be at 77ºF all the time).

With just those three specs from the battery manufacturer, you can program a good 110 charger or solar controller to give your batteries just what they want for longest life and best performance.
1999 Concourse
Manitou
Site Admin

Post by Manitou »

Pretty sure mine is adjustable with a "wizard" dongle. Maybe without even.
I picked up my batteries while visiting Florida.