Chinook RV Forum

It is currently December 14th, 2017, 8:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Replacing couch
PostPosted: August 14th, 2014, 9:06 am 

I have a 2003 Concourse and would love to have a couch that electrically converted to a bed. First is that possible and secondly where would I find one. I'm a novice with RV things having inherited this unit from my dad. I love it but definitely have lots to learn. Also how tough is it to install a back up camera in this unit?

background-color: #C1CAD2

Post subject: Re: Replacing couch
PostPosted: August 14th, 2014, 9:11 am 
Site Admin

I don't have any advice for the couch, but I'm curious too.

As for the backup camera, I installed an aftermarket stereo with screen. It wasn't much different from any other aftermarket stereo install. I haven't done the camera portion yet though. That part has me a little concerned too.

Post subject: Re: Replacing couch
PostPosted: August 14th, 2014, 9:23 am 

Hi lankylady, and welcome! To both the forum and Chinook ownership :)

I can't exactly answer your question, but here is some info:

1) For an electric-converting couch bed, you might give Bradd & Hall a call. They are an RV place in Indiana, and they stock (and install) a LOT of RV furniture. They also sell to people like us (so I mean you don't necessarily have to go there to have things done). Another thought is to contact Coach House RV in Florida. They build small RV's that are very similar to the Chinook, except that many of them have a couch that electrically converts into a bed. They might be willing to share some information with you.

2) As far as changing the bed/couch: I found the stock Flexsteel couch/bed to be uncomfortable as both a couch and a bed, so I took most of it out and converted it to one I find very comfortable and practical. I have been meaning to write it up, but haven't yet as I need to take some photographs to illustrate, and to do that I need to move a bunch of things. So I've been lazy :D

3) At least a few people have changed/modified/replaced the couch, so you're not alone. I believe I did read about one person who had a "power couch" in a Concourse/Premier.

Again, welcome!

PS: I'm going to start a new thread on rear-view cameras, so that it does not get buried in with couches. It's something I'm planning on doing as well.