Installed New Towing Mirrors

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
Blue~Go

Re: Installed New Towing Mirrors

Post by Blue~Go »

Reading this, I realized I forgot about measuring the Velvac 2015 when I got back to my rig (boy, was that a good day!).

With the arms in the out and perpendicular position, and the mirror heads angled in as I have them to drive, it's about 10-1/2" from the body* to the inside of the mirror head at the lower edge, and around 12'' at the upper (they taper). *I measured on the "body" along the vertical black piece of metal that divides the window pane from the triangular area where the mirror attaches to the door. In other words, the piece that would separate the wing window from the main window if there was a wing window.
1999 Concourse
vacuumbed

Post by vacuumbed »

I never liked the white standard head Velvacs that came on my 2005 Concourse, the paint was peeling on the arms and the plastic on the heads were turning yellow.

Last year I installed a new set of Velvacs in black with the deluxe heads and the turn signal indicator under the arms.
2005 Concourse E350 Ford V10.
1990 Concourse E350 Ford. 7.3 IDI Diesel.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I was never very motivated to change to the deluxe style heads (which would require me to also change to the 2020 arms). But now I have access to a friend's black 2020 bases and arms that are Chinook sized (he found that his other-brand RV maker had put on arms that were too short for his wider RV, so he bought longer ones).

Built in turn signals might just spur me to do this.

Can you elaborate on the turn signal part? Did that require adding wiring? Or was it already there? Mirror head part numbers? Also, I forget the year of your Chinook.

Thanks,
BG
1999 Concourse
vacuumbed

Post by vacuumbed »

Mine is a 2005. I bought the entire new kit from Velvac, but I had to go through a dealer. I shopped for the best price and ended up going with a place called Utillity Trailer of Boise. The whole kit was part number 715437 and I paid $768.

The wiring for the turn signals is not there, you have to locate the two wires near the steering column for left and right signal.

Here is what I did. I carefully removed my old mirrors, all wiring, and switches without damaging anything. Then I listed it on eBay and sold it as a kit and shipped it in the same box my new Velvacs came in. And of course, I did a complete install on the new set, wiring and all.
2005 Concourse E350 Ford V10.
1990 Concourse E350 Ford. 7.3 IDI Diesel.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Thanks for that info! Ford chassis wiring is so not my speciality, but if I ever decide to do this mod, at least I know what I'm looking for (turn signal wires near steering). Since I already have the 2020 bases and arms in storage, it's appealing.

On the other hand my white Velvac 2015's are in good shape, and the size is nicely tidy looking on the Chinook. So maybe it's one of those back burner ones :)
1999 Concourse
Chinnin-about

Post by Chinnin-about »

I purchased them on Amazon for $127 shipped with Prime. Obviously they are not OEM but for the price I couldn't justify the OEM ones. The quality is really nice, but will see how they hold up over time. They have power glass but no heat which I wasn't too worried about.
I need to replace my mirrors on my 1997, and the 700 for Velvac 2020's is a bit rich for my budget. Would you mind posting a link to the Amazon mirrors you bought? T%hanks.