08+ Front Clip Conversion

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
Willywalderbeast

08+ Front Clip Conversion

Post by Willywalderbeast »

The biggest complaint I have about my Chinook are the horrible headlights. When researching what the best option for upgrading them a decided that a 08+ front end conversion with the composite dual beam headlights would do the trick. Today I shot down to Philadelphia to pick up the first pieces of the puzzle. Got an awesome deal on a hood and grill which are the two most expensive parts you need for the conversion. As I collect all the parts I'll post up what I got them for and keep a running total on the swap. I'm figuring it will cost around $900-$1000 as long as I hunt down the best deals on parts!

Hood $150 used
Grill $100 used
Upper Header Pannel $60 new
Lower Header Pannel $90 new
Fenders $400 used pair
Headlights $350 brand new oem eBay
9007 to h13 adapters $7

As for a bumper they run about $300 used. I'm going to be driving out to San Deigo next month to have Jeremy at Weldtech Designs install a 6" lift. I'm also going to be purchasing an custom bumper from him at that time.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Last edited by Willywalderbeast on November 23rd, 2016, 4:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Blue~Go

Re: 08+ Front End Conversion

Post by Blue~Go »

I'm not sure if this is going to be a "thing" - and/or you may already have it figured in - but I believe the 2008-up bumper is also some inches forward of where the 2007-back one is. So you might need to do something to fit that up.

I know this from reading about it, but you can also "tell" by looking at a front hitch for our rigs. The 2007-back one is just straight across, whereas the 2008-up one is sort of a "V" shape to extend further forward from the frame ends and clear the further-forward bumper.

Another way to go about it is to replace the stock 2007-back headlights with HID, such as the ones from Vantage Optics (he has an E-350 so those are his bread and butter). I just helped a friend do this to his 2003. Mine is next in line :D These are the stock shape for 2007-back front ends, so this would only apply to those not changing the front sheet metal and headlight housings to newer ones. The lights are about a million times better, but have a distinctive cut off line, so they don't result in everyone "flashing" you to turn your lights down. They are not blue like the "wannabe" type lights you probably curse (at least I do).

And speaking of 2008-and-up improvements (this is what I thought you were going to be talking about when I read the thread title), I have an entire 2014 front end on my Chinook; but it's the "guts" not the visible parts. I did this to get the bigger (much bigger) brakes, but as a side bonus got the suspension improvements, plus just all new parts (vs. mine which had 50,000 miles on them at the time). This was basically everything from the hubs on in, except for I kept my original springs and my upgraded shocks. None of this shows though, as I have my original sheet metal, hood, grille, and headlights. It's just the working parts (axle/hubs/brakes/ball joints/tie rods/etc.)

On the HID headlights for 2007-back rigs (at least from Vantage), you can spend anywhere from around $350 to ... maybe infinity, depending on how fancy you want to get with things like halo lights and etc. I will just be getting the basic lights, plus the least expensive halos to use as daytime running lights. My original headlight lenses are very clear, so I can slightly put this off. My buddy's were quite yellowed (even after polishing) so it was an even higher priority for him (not saying the stock lights are ever great).

Some folks were asking about HID lights for the 2008-and-up housings, but the housings themselves are quite expensive (like $800 IIRC) so adding HID lights was basically cost prohibitive (although it could be done of course).

Not to take away from your project (I hope this doesn't seem like a hijack), but I just intended to "round out" the discussion a bit. I can move it to another thread if you would prefer.
1999 Concourse
Willywalderbeast

By front end I just mean the front clip.
Parts list:
Hood
Grill
Fenders
Bumper
Headlights
Header panel (upper & lower)
Misc small parts- hood latch assembly, hinges, prop

It's actually a pretty straightforward swap. You have to drill two holes for the new hood latch assembly and two of the fender holes don't line up but that's about it. The new bumper lines up perfectly with the rest of the front end.

I looked into the Vantage Optics projector headlights but don't care for the way they look to be honest. I took a ride in a newer van with the composite dual headlight setup and it was 100x better then my current lights. Plus I'll be running a aftermarket bumper with a led light bar which should be more then enough light when wired in with my highbeams.

As for my "front end" (suspension, ibeam, ect.) I'll be making a decision in the upcoming weeks between a performance 6" lift and keeping the van 2wd or a 4x4 conversion from ujoint. I'm trying to be realistic in the fact that 90% of my driving will be on pavement and only 10% will be off-road. And out of that 10% I would probably only need 4x4 1% of the time. I think a nice performance lift, tires, winch, and possibly a rear locker will get me almost everyplace I'd want to go!

I attached a photo so you can get a idea of what it will look like. Although I choose to go with a black grill as I will be painting the rv this winter and going with a earth tone color with all black accents.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I'll be reading along with interest. Will be great to have the info on how to use the newer front end visual parts. I have Concourse stripes on my hood, but maybe all the years don't (and/or one could reproduce them or just go without them). It's funny, but when I first saw the "new" front end, I thought it was hideous. Way out of proportion to the van front and just obviously trying to look "modern" and tough, but not really blending with the van body. And of course it was just an add-on to nearly-twenty-year-old van body. But now that I'm used to it I kind of like it, and the original front is starting to look small. Funny how that works :D

I agree with you on some of the Vantage Optics lights. I don't like the really "out there" looking ones with lots of black, wild halos, etc. I have no desire to make any kind of statement with my headlights. On the other hand, the ones my friend got (which would be similar to what I'd get) don't look too different from the stock ones. Just clear "glass" and silver inside. They don't look exactly like the stock lights (inside the bulb), but not as different as most of what I've seen people get (who purposely wanted a "different" look).

I haven't ever driven with the 2008-up ones though, so can't compare.

I considered 4WD, because I like to get off the beaten track and camp away from the crowds. But after using my rig for a year or two I'm not sure it would help that much for where I go. Reason I say that is that at least 50% of the time it's side or overhead clearance that stops me (because I'm not willing to just drag branches over the roof or sides). Not traction. There is also the factor of the coach body can only take so much twisting (how much? No way to know until/unless it shows damage).

On the other hand, departure angle is probably the biggest deal, because of the long overhang plus the dump valves behind the wheels. A lift would help that (somewhat). But that can be done with 2WD. And then there is still the issue of sides and top clearance. Obviously some of this depends where you like to go; snow is different than forest is different than desert. And also how averse you are to scratches and gouges in the shell.

Finally, I love driving "on road," so I didn't want to diminish my highway driving qualities.

So.... up till now it's just stock except for suspension mods that make it more fun/better to drive on highway. If I do anything to make it better off road for the way I like to travel it would be a mild lift. But even stock, I've managed to mostly avoid the crowds and camp/boondock off on my own. Even if I can't get "everywhere."

Anyway, back to your mod(ernization) :D

PS: Yes, somehow I glossed right over the word "clip" in your thread title. Duh!
1999 Concourse
Willywalderbeast

Re: 08+ Front Clip Conversion

I will be starting the swap this week!!! Picking up fenders tomorrow, for now here are pictures of the headlights, 9007 to H13 adapters for the lights, upper and lower header panels.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Willywalderbeast

Pulled the front end apart today! Everything came apart pretty easy, had everything off (including the bumper although I took the picture prior) in roughly an hour.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Willywalderbeast

Then I scratched my head for a while trying to figure out how to put it back together haha. Figured it out but it was getting dark so I decided to clean up. Quickly mounted the hood which I had to drill out the hinges and use larger bolts then the original hood accepted. Through the fender on with one bold just to get them out of the garage. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have a few hours to work on her and get it completed!
Attachments
image.jpeg
SMan

Post by SMan »

I had my doubts but I'm impressed. Nice job. Looking forward to seeing it completed!
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
Willywalderbeast

Got the upper and lower header pannels mounted quick this morning and had to snap the grill in place to get a glimps of what she's going to look like!
Attachments
image.jpeg
retiredtim

Post by retiredtim »

Couldn't help to notice the colors of your trim. Do you have the color codes for the Gold & Brown? I haven't been able to find them and my stickers are worn off.