Chinook RV Forum

It is currently December 16th, 2017, 7:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Leaky grey tank fixed
PostPosted: August 29th, 2014, 1:01 pm 
Site Admin

I got lucky with this one. Someone had done a previous repair with lots of silicon, electrical tape, and clamps. Looked like they just rigged up what they had lying around.

I'm not sure my connections are factory, but a trip to Home Depot for:
1 1/2 to 2" rubber coupler (reducer) for $5
(Pretty sure that was the size. I measured the outside of both ends 2 1/4" and 1 7/8". The small side was a little tight and the big side was a little loose.. Both worked though)

For me, it was the connection between the grey valve and the tank itself. So, be sure it's empty first of course.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.6 MiB | Viewed 435 times ]
background-color: #C1CAD2

PostPosted: August 29th, 2014, 10:23 pm 

I'm curious: What will support the grey valve now that that connection is not rigid pipe? Maybe you have something beyond the photo (in which case, never mind!).

If you mentally piece this together you can see how mine is connected. It's all rigid/glued ABS:

1) The outermost section, with "half" of the blade valve attachment on it (other half is on rig and the acutal valve gets sandwiched in between and bolted in place by the valve fasteners):

Attachment:
9 Piece that comes off after unfastening valves.jpg
9 Piece that comes off after unfastening valves.jpg [ 199.93 KiB | Viewed 432 times ]

2) What is left behind on the rig (again, valves go between #1 and #2):

Attachment:
10 What is left on rig.jpg
10 What is left on rig.jpg [ 228.07 KiB | Viewed 432 times ]

3) A close up showing the rigid pipe that comes out of the grey tank. Sort of the same thing you see in #2 above, but showing it from a different angle (and only the grey tank):

Attachment:
grey tank and discharge fittings.jpg
grey tank and discharge fittings.jpg [ 179.28 KiB | Viewed 432 times ]

I don't mean to sound critical of your repair (I have used those flexible couplings for certain jobs in the past), but at least on my setup, that wouldn't be a good place for a flexible fitting. I can't see your whole setup of course (yet). If you are interested in us having a look-see, maybe you could post a few more views.

I had to do a similar repair on my last rig (Class B) on the greywater drain after it broke. It took a little head scratching, but I was able to do a clean repair with ABS and glue, and not having to use a flexible fitting (although that was my fall back if I absolutely had to).

PostPosted: August 30th, 2014, 4:43 am 
Site Admin

Interesting. The pipe fit into the other fitting nicely and couple have been glued into it. I found it with a make shift connection and my replacement it heavier duty. The rigid side is still held up by the silver bracket/bolt like yours. Looks like someone did a bunch of tar covering it too, but at least that's on the other side of the valve.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.57 MiB | Viewed 430 times ]