Front Receiver

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
Chinookers
**Forum Contributor**

Front Receiver

Post by Chinookers »

Just installed a Curt front receiver, part # 33055, from eTrailer.

The instructions that say it only takes 20 minutes to install should not be believed!

Fitting it on your own can be done, but it would have been a lot easier with a helper!

Blue~Go

Re: Front Receiver

Post by Blue~Go »

That looks similar to the Draw-Tite I installed a couple of years ago.

I don't know if the Curt is the same, but on the Draw-Tite you have two options:

1) Use the included fish wires to painfully, slowly, and frustratingly get the hardware and backing plates into the frame through the crumple zone holes and then into position for the hitch fasteners (takes two hours of neck twisting and cursing while under the rig), then bolt up hitch (five minutes with a hitch on your chest, or a helper :D)

2) Remove bumper face, reach straight in with the hardware and have the thing on in five minutes, then replace bumper face. Maybe 30 minutes total and no cursing.

I used version #1 two years ago on my Concourse. Main reason was I was in a campground and you know how they don't like you to be working on your rig. Between pulling into the site nose in, and NOT removing the front bumper face, it was pretty low key. Also there were fog light wires on the bumper. Not that it would have been a big deal to remove/replace them, but it would just have meant *more* time trying not to look like I was working on anything.

A year and a half later doing one on a friend's rig, we opted for method #2. Don't think I'll ever be doing #1 again!

Sure is nice to have a front hitch. Looks like the Curt tucks in nice and tidy just like the Draw-Tite.
1999 Concourse