repositioning range hood monitor

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
VTSweetpea

repositioning range hood monitor

Post by VTSweetpea »

We're seriously thinking of removing the hulking range hood in our 2001 Concourse and repositioning the monitor panel. I've searched the archives and found several posts from others who've done the same (such as Blue-Go). However, I haven't been able to find any information about where the monitor was remounted.
If you've done this particular mod, I'd appreciate any pros/cons you can offer about specific locations.

Thanks.
VTSweetpea
2001 Concourse 4x4
Blue~Go

Re: repositioning range hood monitor

Post by Blue~Go »

Hi VT Sweetpea,

No note from me because I have never re-mounted mine. And not sure I will. The reason is that mine monitored five things:

Fresh water tank
Grey water tank
Black water tank
Battery charge
Propane tank level

It also switched two things on and off

Range hood fan
Range hood light

In my new arrangement, I won't be using the range hood panel for any of these things, and here is my reasoning:

1) The levels for fresh water, grey water, black water, and propane were a bit limiting, the way they only show thirds. Now on one hand, I maybe don't need a monitor for fresh or black, as they are easy to see. But I do need one for grey, and I'd like one for the others. So, I bought a "See Level" system. This gives you a percentage readout for each of the above tanks, and has its own panel.

2) The battery monitor is pretty much useless. I have two different monitors (Smart Gauge and Victron BMV-700, both of which are much more precise.

3) No more range hood, so that particular fan is not needed, so the switch is not needed.

4) Won't be using the range hood light, specifically, so that switch is not needed.

So, no need for me to reinstall that panel (although I will be using some of the wiring for the new panel/light/etc.).

However, if I DID want to, I would probably have popped out the inner black panel (pops out very easily by hand) and made a way to mount it elsewhere (which is what you are asking about, I realize, but wasn't sure if you knew the inner black part just popped right out of the hood).

Also, in some other, earlier Chinooks, plus other RV's, the panel is mounted separately already. Perhaps one of those "frames" could be found if you don't feel like adapting something yourself.

BG
1999 Concourse
VTSweetpea

Post by VTSweetpea »

Thanks so much for the thoughtful feedback, BG. I appreciate you taking the time to describe what you did and why. Gave us some more food for thought and we'll definitely be looking into the See Level system.

Thanks!
2001 Concourse 4x4
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Glad the info was potentially useful.

A couple of notes on the See Level (which I have not installed in my Chinook yet, but a friend already has one in place so I'm familiar with it).

One is that there was some talk a few years ago (on an RV forum) wherein a fellow had a See Level switch more or less melt down. Nothing "happened," but it could have. Apparently the issue was with the (optional) water pump switch, which draws a fair bit of amperage (or can, anyway) as compared to just the typical level gauges that are really the See Level "thing." Now that's probably long improved, but nonetheless, I decided to go with a separate water pump switch. In my previous camper van it was right on the face of the lower cabinet at the sink, which seemed fairly handy, so I may put it there. The way my Chinook was set up stock, the water pump is under the couch. But, since the water pump switch was on the stove hood, the wire came out of the fuse box (brown box) (yellow wire, IIRC), went ALL THE WAY around the horn over the back door and to the range hood switch, then ALL THE WAY back around the horn, past the fuse box and to the water pump (which otherwise was practically right next to the fuse box}. Or one could go with a separate switch over on the stove side but by the See Level, or the See Level with the integral pump switch.

I'm keeping the See Level panel near to where it was before (will re-use wires), but not in the range hood (since no range hood). I've changed the refrigerator area somewhat, so it'll be going in that area. It would also be possible to put it above the closet near the generator switch, etc.

When you pop the black center panel out of the range hood and look at the back, you will be able to identify the various wires and their functions. I labeled mine while I still had the hood there to tell me what each wire did.

So, after considering the various options, I got the See Level panel that reads the three water tanks (fresh/grey/black) plus the propane tank. Pump switch, stove light, and fan will be separate in my case.

The other note (if you made it all the way through the first one) is that See Level includes tank reading strips for average height tanks (you stick them on the outside of the tank). For "short" tanks, they make a smaller (shorter) strip that is more accurate on a shorter tank. If you buy one of these later, they are a tad expensive. I needed one for the black tank (I think that's the short one). By contacting See Level, they made it so I could have one of the short strips in place of one of the standard long ones, thus I didn't have to pay extra to buy it later. Very good, friendly service. I think the company is called something like Garnet Industries.
1999 Concourse
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

Just for grins, here's a generic monitor panel trouble diagnosis manual from Bryant RV:

http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/vlmonitorpanel.pdf

Interesting read, with some general schematics.

I believe our units were made by Ventline, btw.
1994 Concourse dinette, Ford 7.5L (460 V8)
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Scott »

I don't know if it helps, and I apologize if I'm reiterating what's already been mentioned, but I never use my monitor panel. The data are far from correct, plus I can just do a visual on the fresh, black, and propane. And if you have decent house batteries, you'll probably want a more accurate voltage meter anyway. When I dump my black, I fill the fresh (or vise versa), so the grey has never been a limiting factor.
1994 Premier