Rear step lights

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
VTSweetpea

Rear step lights

Post by VTSweetpea »

Has anybody replaced the strip lights in the rear step? If so, where does the wiring terminate? I'm in the process of putting in a bamboo floor in my 2001 Concourse and I'd like to install new LED strip lights while I'm at it. Just be my luck I'd leave the original lights and then they'd go bad just as soon as the flooring project was complete!
2001 Concourse 4x4
HoosierB
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Rear step lights

Post by HoosierB »

On my '01 Concourse, the wiring for the strip light starts behind the wall next to the rear entry door (driver side) and continues to the rear step where it terminates at it's end (toward the closet side of the step). Mine was beyond repair, so to replace it, I'm installing this marine LED courtesy light. Using existing wiring, it will mount higher up on the vertical "oak" wall that meets the driver side of the rear entry door, giving out much more overall light in that step area.
led step light.jpg
"Wanda" – '01 Chinook Concourse XL V10
VTSweetpea

Post by VTSweetpea »

Thanks a lot for this info, Hoosier. Husband loves the light you're installing so I just ordered one.
2001 Concourse 4x4
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

And for those who don't want to run wires, I suggest the As Seen On TV Mighty Lite.

It has a proximity and ambient light sensors, so it only turns on when you walk towards it and it's dark. Runs for up to a year on a nine volt battery.

I have one mounted low on the wall just behind the bathroom door in my Chinook. Comes on automatically when entering or leaving.

We also have some outside our home near some dark steps, and they're great during power outages to scatter around the house.

Below is an Amazon link for reference, but CVS and Walmart also sell them.

https://www.amazon.com/As-Seen-On-TV-bn ... B008VVDPTS
1994 Concourse dinette, Ford 7.5L (460 V8)
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Aren't the lighting possibilities amazing these days?

Just for info, I think most "latter years" Concourse owners won't need to run wires (or not much anyway). Not sure when it started, but I have this on my '99: The metal threshold on the upper step has a built in light strip on the forward edge (switched in the three-switch panel that's on the mini bathroom wall by the door in my rig, above the closet on others), so there is already wiring there for that.

Here is a photo that shows them (from a 2004 Concourse, complete with trick-or-treater).
back door lights.jpg
1999 Concourse
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

Yeah my 94 has those step lights too. But you have to remember to turn them on and off, whereas a proximity light is always ready, and can't accidentally run diwn the batteries :)

Anyway, those step lights are what the OP was talking about. He wanted to go ahead and replace them with LEDs so he wouldn't have to pull up his new floor later on.
1994 Concourse dinette, Ford 7.5L (460 V8)
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Ah okay, I didn't know how far back (in time) they were used or on which models.

And fair enough, LED are better. I haven't looked to see if I could retrofit mine or not. And as you say, the proximity lights have other features.
1999 Concourse