Bathroom Upgrades/Mods

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
HoosierB
**Forum Contributor**

Bathroom Upgrades/Mods

Post by HoosierB »

Continuing with my remodeling project, I recently added a white faucet fixture and matching towel bar to replace the old chrome items. A new Oxygenics Body Spa shower head also installed. Looking for ideas to replace the original, heavy metal medicine cabinet with mirror door. Mine is pretty crusty. Getting more secured storage space would also be a plus. Some marine supply retailers have a variety of ABS storage boxes that may work, but most are very pricey. The other mod I'm considering is adding a Corian top to the existing sink area. This would just be to freshen up the look for decor reasons (attached photo not mine, but found this on the web).
Would like to see what others have done, or ideas you may have. Thanks
Chinook bathroom sink.jpg
Last edited by HoosierB on March 15th, 2017, 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Wanda" – '01 Chinook Concourse XL V10
pdemarest
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Bathroom Upgrades/Mods

Post by pdemarest »

That looks great! The wall where you've hung that mirror has a space behind it that may accommodate a shallow medicine chest if you're up for cutting into it.
Paul Demarest
2003 Premier V-10
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

That's my bathroom, a present to my wife :)

Photo is from my public Chinook Remodel collection on Pinterest.

The sink topper is luan plywood coated with granite spray and clear coat for moisture proofing. (I used cardboard to create a template first.) The vase is held in place with museum earthquake wax. The shower head and hose are new.

The mirror is light weight, held by Velcro. Below it, I recently added a 3M Command Strip towel bar.
image.jpeg
And of course a bamboo shower mat, along with a new white / gray / tan shower curtain.
image.jpeg
It all makes it more cozy and home like. What I'm thinking about doing next is installing a recessed cabinet just below the sink since there's room in the compartment behind. Perhaps a toilet paper holder similar to what later models have. (You can't see it in these photos, but I put a water resistant one with tiny top tray for a phone on the inside of the bathroom door.)

As noted in another project thread, my favorite part of my bathroom is the motion/heat detect overhead light control I installed. No need to ever reach up and turn on the light or remember to turn it off again. It's all automatic from the time you open the door to 30 secs after you leave. See: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=299

Kevin
Last edited by kdarling on March 16th, 2017, 3:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
1994 Concourse dinette, Ford 7.5L (460 V8)
HoosierB
**Forum Contributor**

Post by HoosierB »

Kudos kdarling, great job! Love the detail. Did you replace the medicine cabinet? I plan on installing a recessed, waterproof TP holder I purchased from a marine supply (see pic). Plan to install below the sink area... hope it fits.
recessed tp holder.jpg
recessed tp holder.jpg (5.77 KiB) Viewed 2773 times
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

The medicine cabinet is in great shape, so the only thing I have planned for it, is to install faux wood picture frame trim around the cabinet mirror door.

For a while, I kept trying to find just the right waterproof bathroom wallpaper trim to cover that unsightly gap between the upper and lower bath fiberglass pieces, but no luck yet.

I also bought thin stone pieces to put on one wall but changed my mind.

Some days I think about replacing the hallway-hogging hinged wooden bathroom door with a translucent plastic accordion shower door, which would not only let in more light, but also take up no space if left tied open to let the heat into the bathroom.

A while back I ran across a recessed marine cabinet designed to hold some cleaning stuff and toilet paper. Wish I could find it again.

So many ideas, so little time!

Kev
HoosierB
**Forum Contributor**

Post by HoosierB »

Recessed Marine Cabinet
I had my eye on it as well.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141777719792?ss ... 1423.l2649
boat storage cab.jpg
HoosierB
**Forum Contributor**

Post by HoosierB »

kdarling wrote:Some days I think about replacing the hallway-hogging hinged wooden bathroom door with a translucent plastic accordion shower door, which would not only let in more light, but also take up no space if left tied open to let the heat into the bathroom.
Known to be a quality product.
http://shade-man.com/product/pleated-shower-doors/
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

By the way, if one wants the same watertight toilet paper holder (I believe) as the later Chinooks used, it's a boating one, a "DRYROLL" made by Oceanair. I bought one a couple of years ago, but haven't installed it (not sure I want to lose even that much space from the tire locker, so still on the fence, but I'm glad I have it). Here are links to it:

http://www.oceanair.co.uk/marine/produc ... -protector

I bought mine at Fisheries Supply, but it looks like Defender and Amazon also carry it.

Thanks for the link to the pleated shower door. I had seen one on a remodeled Chinook (via Internet) and thought it looked interesting. I can't imagine going back to the original bathroom door, because I love the light, elbow room, and "package setting down and then not having to leap over" ability by the door. (But I can see why some people might like the door, don't get me wrong.)
1999 Concourse
Manitou
Site Admin

Post by Manitou »

hahaha.. I have to laugh at how many ways have been invented to keep TP dry. 1st world problems.
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

Thanks for all the TP solution links. Although, man they're expensive!

Btw, has anyone else ever dreamed about moving the forward bath wall out towards the kitchen sink and puttingin a slim but separate shower stall? I'm a little jealous of the 21' Phoenix Cruiser and its dry bath :o