Paint Job

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
dougm

Re: Paint Job

Post by dougm »

I can hook you up with replacement "CHINOOK" decals if you decide to put some back on it. I have gloss black or Matte black.
dougm

Post by dougm »

On my running boards i removed the original rubber that was on the steps and then went to a skateboard shop and purchased a length of that non-slip covering material they put on top of skateboards. I only mention because it looks like yours is missing.
Xatlatc
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Xatlatc »

Skillet,
I think the new paint job is very 'dry camping stealth' and I understand the line.
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

Dougm: I'll keep ya in mind if I ever need some decals, appreciate it. I had some step grip on both sides but when I bought the rv, it was in bad shape. Most of it was missing. My intention was do what you said but I also knew in the back of my mind I was going to get it painted so I put it off. Now that it's done, I'll add some.

Manitou: I originally planned on painting it a year and a half ago. The price then was $3500! But I had unexpected big expenses come up and that blew my budget. Happened last year too. This year, no emergencies!
'02 Concourse where there's always a project going on...
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

I think we'd all love to see more photo angles if you get a chance. I'd like to see the rear and the roof.

That price is amazing considering the prep work. Any idea how they removed the old stripes, btw? Some kind of citric based paint remover perhaps, or did they sand them off?

When they painted, did they remove the running lights, and what else? (It doesn't sound like they removed the windows.)

Thanks for any extra photos and info!
1994 Concourse dinette, Ford 7.5L (460 V8)
Rokrover

Post by Rokrover »

On my running boards i removed the original rubber that was on the steps and then went to a skateboard shop and purchased a length of that non-slip covering material they put on top of skateboard
Good tip! My steps had cracking rubber strips stuck down with dreaded silicone adhesive that was a bear to scrape off. After prompting by dougm’s reminder I just replaced the strips with 4” wide 3M Safety-Walk self-adhesive tape.

While I was at it I added this tape on the roof to protect the first two steps after exiting the ladder. I’ve had some nervous moments there, especially when the fiberglass is slick with rain or dew. Dew in Arizona, you say?
Ted C. / SW Arizona
"The Blue Chook" 2002 Concourse Owner: 2013-2019
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

Rokrover wrote:While I was at it I added this tape on the roof to protect the first two steps after exiting the ladder. I’ve had some nervous moments there, especially when the fiberglass is slick with rain or dew. Dew in Arizona, you say?
Boy, you're not alone in having those moments!

I recently installed 3M step safety strips starting from the bottom bumper step, up through all the ladder rungs, and then like you, added an extra couple of pads on the roof once you get off the ladder.
3msteps.jpg
I got the two inch wide roll from Amazon and cut it to length:
image.jpeg
Now I feel much safer when going up to wash the roof, or after it has rained!
Last edited by kdarling on June 3rd, 2017, 6:38 am, edited 4 times in total.
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

I'm going to have to ask if they removed the running lights or not. That's a good question and I'll take a close look as well. They didn't remove the windows and removed the stripe with a sander. I had a previous owner's map of the US on the upper left of the back and it was fused on by the sun. They had to remove that with a sander too. I think the heat gun didn't do it for them on that. I was surprised they did the spare tire cover too. I'll get some pics within the next couple days.
'02 Concourse where there's always a project going on...
dougm

Post by dougm »

just piddling around
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

Hey, are all the "CHINOOK" badges the same size on a Concourse with racing stripes?

I mean, obviously one of the four slants to the left instead of to the right, but otherwise they're all the same width and height lettering?

After a couple of years of being a stealth RV with no emblems (grin), I'm thinking it's time to put some back on.

Perhaps something in a more subtle color though. I don't want white on my grey, but black seems too dark. Not sure yet. The border effect you did above is a possibility, Doug.
Last edited by kdarling on June 2nd, 2017, 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.