Paint Peeling at Keyholes

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
deb

Paint Peeling at Keyholes

Post by deb »

Hi. I think it will only get worse.

Is there a clear coat of something I can seal it with to keep problem minimal. Not striving for perfection...just prevention.

Thank you
Attachments
20170523_070938.jpg
deb
2003 Chinook concourse
Montana
Blue~Go

Re: Paint Peeling at Keyholes

Post by Blue~Go »

I guess if it were me I would remove the latch mechanism (there should be a thin nut on the back around the threaded area - it's like 7/8" in diameter), and then do a bit of edge feathering (those sharp edges are more likely to peel).

What is a "quick" way to re-paint it... I'd guess the original would have been some type of two-part coating, perhaps with a clear coat over it. I suppose you could try some matching touch up paint. Can you read the paint codes that are usually on the driver's door jamb? (There is a thread on paint codes on this forum which might help you.) For example my blue stripes are a specific Chevrolet truck color, and I could source touch-up paint (maybe one of those little pens or nail polish/foam type containers of it) in a matching color. Won't be perfect, but that's what I'd do if I wanted to do a DIY type fix. You could also get a spray can of specific touch up paint, but then you are into masking off and etc.

With the latch mechanism removed you can get the edge of the new paint underneath, which should help considerably.

I can guess what might be happening: The doors are just thin skins over a foam core. If the latch nut is tightened significantly, then it depresses the foam, and now you have a "break point" in the paint. So it breaks and peels. If this were a boat, that foam would be hollowed out and thickened epoxy inserted in its place so that there would be a rigid area to tighten against. But RV's don't seem to do that unless one modifies it to suit.
1999 Concourse
dougm

Post by dougm »

You could get online and buy some vinyl like they use for decals. If you get good quality vinyl it sticks like glue. They have a large variety of colors to choose from, cut it into small squares, round the corners, remove the locks, cut the key hole into the vinyl and reinstall the lock.
deb

Post by deb »

Thanks for the suggestions. Either/or sounds good to me.

Really appreciate your time in answering.

deb
deb
2003 Chinook concourse
Montana