Minor Touches: Interior Fan & Bin Covers

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
Rokrover

Minor Touches: Interior Fan & Bin Covers

Post by Rokrover »

We use our Chinook as an escape pod to commune with nature so civilized distractions like TV and VCR became irrelevant to this life style. The attachments show how we covered the mounting areas in the large overhead bin after removal of these vintage gadgets. I disconnected but haven’t yet got around to removing the Kenwood radio CD player (that stealthy amp parasite) as it’s too much of a hassle to then mess with the surround sound speakers. One civilized touch is the Caframo 12V marine fan that helps move inside air now our rooftop A/C is gone. The upside down mount above sink window is safely out of the way yet within cord’s reach of the 12V outlet under the counter.
Attachments
IMG_0151.jpg
IMG_0154.jpg
IMG_0172.jpg
Ted C. / SW Arizona
"The Blue Chook" 2002 Concourse Owner: 2013-2019
Blue~Go

Re: Minor Touches: Interior Fan & Bin Covers

Post by Blue~Go »

I hear you on the TV/VCR/etc. I made a tidy little pile with the TV/VCR/CB/Mr. Coffee on my way home from picking up the Chinook and set them next to a dumpster in a rest area -- figuring someone else might like them (and if not they could be easily tossed in). Buh-bye! I kept the stereo, but in a way it seems silly to have two in such a small vehicle.

What is that over the VCR hole? Just curious.

I like the marine fans. I have a couple of Hella Turbos and one Caframo like yours. The Caframo moves more air, but I like the tone of the Hella for sleeping, and the switch is more intuitive (especially in the dark). I have in the past mounted a separate switch for the Caframos because I dislike reaching around the back of it (past the open blades..... :? ). For those who haven't used them, these marine fans draw something like .2 amps - you really can run them just about whenever you want without thinking of power draw (vs. the low speed on the stock 3-speed Fantastic vent is something like 2 amps). Of course they kind of serve different purposes: The Fantastic can suck in vast amounts of air from outside when it's cooled down but the inside of the Chinook is still warm. The marine fans (at least for me) are more about aiming on me to feel a nice cool breeze. So both are good, but I'll use the marine fans for hours in a day (or all night).
1999 Concourse