That carpet is outta here!

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
Xatlatc
**Forum Contributor**

That carpet is outta here!

Post by Xatlatc »

Here's the new $60.00 floor which could have been $40.00 but I fouled up a couple of cuts. The 36 year old electric knife was a great tool to use. Bolts on the floor were no issue using the Traffic Master Travertine Activity Floor Tiles from Home Depot.
Attachments
Bolt under table
Bolt under table
Before
Before
Tools
Tools
Xatlatc
**Forum Contributor**

Re: That carpet is outta here!

Post by Xatlatc »

The color is lighter than shown
The color is lighter than shown
This is the finished project. Not bad.
Attachments
More floor
More floor
Near the cab
Near the cab
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Well that's a lotta teal carpet gone. Buh-bye! Was there a sandbox underneath? I just helped a friend take some carpet out of a 2003 RV and I started to wonder if the Sahara was missing a dune, sheesh.

What did you use the knife for? Removal? Trimming of new? I have what looks like that exact same knife (I use it for cutting foam).

I've been tempted a couple of times to get some of the regular grey foam "puzzle" tiles just so I could take the carpet out now (when I'm not yet ready to put in the planned new flooring yet). But then I waffle because the carpet isn't bad (as carpet goes :roll: ) and the tiles would be $60 just for a temporary fix.

But you know, I think I might do it. Then I could get to pulling staples and figuring out how I'm going to handle the bolts (ultimately).

What a difference! So glad you posted the pics.

BG
1999 Concourse
Beaver

Post by Beaver »

Did you remove the dinette benches and the bed to get the carpet out?
Beaver
'98 Concourse
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

Xatlatc wrote:This is the finished project. Not bad.
Looks great! Especially impressed with how the cab carpet, to rear tile piece was done without needing a transition strip.
Blue~Go wrote:Well that's a lotta teal carpet gone. Buh-bye! Was there a sandbox underneath? I just helped a friend take some carpet out of a 2003 RV and I started to wonder if the Sahara was missing a dune, sheesh.
Man, you're not kidding. Doing carpet removal really opens one's eyes.

Seeing the incredible amount of accumulated sand that was embedded in the original carpet after many years, is what convinced me to only use wood and tile for replacements. Removable rugs on top work fine for foot coziness.

It also pushed me into a full width front cab floor carpet mat, to help protect the permanent carpet underneath.
1994 Concourse dinette, Ford 7.5L (460 V8)
Xatlatc
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Xatlatc »

I didn't have any sand under the carpet thank goodness. Only a few staples to remove and then push the remaining carpet back underneath the seats and walls so it wouldn't show. The yellow razor knife cut the carpet with ease as long as I kept a sharp blade in the handle. The electric knife was used to cut the foam squares instead of the razor knife, it provided a cleaner cut. I didn't remove the dinette seats. The bathroom wall wasn't square so I had to use some small pieces of foam as fillers. Two sided tape was used where the squares met at the interlocking section. I'm using a round rubber floor protector to keep the dinette leg from making an indentation in the foam.
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Scott »

Blue~Go wrote:I've been tempted a couple of times to get some of the regular grey foam "puzzle" tiles just so I could take the carpet out now (when I'm not yet ready to put in the planned new flooring yet). But then I waffle because the carpet isn't bad (as carpet goes :roll: ) and the tiles would be $60 just for a temporary fix.
I replaced my carpet with EVA tiles, and although it's a stopgap solution as you're saying, it has been well worth the time and money it took to install. Being able to sweep versus vacuum is a major change in lifestyle :lol: . One thing is they tend to expand a lot in warmer weather. They come up off the subfloor a little bit, which is mildly annoying, but still much better than carpet. If I was planning on this being a permanent solution, I'd probably use an adhesive to keep them down better.
1994 Premier