Glow in the dark visual aids

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
kdarling

Glow in the dark visual aids

Post by kdarling »

In the dark I sometimes find myself fumbling to find a switch or the correct switch.

So, easy fix -- after first thinking of using glow paint or precut dots, I instead bought this roll of well reviewed tape:
glowtape.jpg
(Yes, leave it in the sunlight and bring it into the dark, and it looks just like the ad photo!)

From the tape, I cut little rectangular or arrow shaped slivers and put them either on, or above, certain key switches such as the status and light rockers above the stove, on the rear door outside lights switch, and of course on the main overhead Fantastic Fan controls:
Fantastic glow
Fantastic glow
In that night photo, you can easily see the speed knob on the left and the In/Off/Out rocker switch on the right.

Although this tape does a good job of gathering light on its own, best practice would be to go 'charge' them all up with a flashlight just before turning out the lights. That should give 6-8 hours of glow according to the reviews.

Anyway, with cutting such small pieces, the roll will last me forever :D . So I'm thinking of all the other places where a little night guidance (without a bright motion light) might be handy. Steps, ladder rungs, flashlight, other switches, faucet knobs, and maybe even cabinet pulls if I can make them really subtle. (The tape looks white in daylight.)
1994 Concourse dinette, Ford 7.5L (460 V8)