Cabinet and woodwork replacement

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
SMan

Re: Cabinet and woodwork replacement

Post by SMan »

kdarling wrote:Man I love hearing from people with experience. Thanks, Steve.

Still, all the fake wood cheapens the look to me.

So... what do you think about gluing a thin wood veneer over the Melamine faces?

Kev
Kev,
Im not sure I would but with proper prep and an adhesive resistant to high temps it should work. I'm very happy with the maple interior in mine and the "faux" stuff is also fine with me. That said I think maple is an easier wood to fake. :lol: I have also installed a mile of plastic laminate (formica) and how I remove existing laminate is with a heat gun. That is why I have concerns in the RV environment as temps, when a rig is in long term storage in hot climates, can be excessive. All my opinions aside I love to see people try different approaches and look forward to these remodeling threads. There is no one size fits all answers here.
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
vacuumbed

Post by vacuumbed »

I really appreciate everyone posting and sharing your ideas, thank you. It is very true that there is no right one answer.

The Chinook I was referring to is my 1990, and it does have a gray cloth ceiling without the wedding cake design. My 1990 came with the bunk bed option, and someone before me already removed the cabinet face above the cab so it is all open. Whatever was there is all gone.

The shower door on my 2005 is one item that is a much better design. The door fits inside of the jam with a nice seal, whereas the 1990 the door just rests over the opening with no seal, and water leaks from the bottom on to the carpet whenever someone showers.
2005 Concourse E350 Ford V10.
1990 Concourse E350 Ford. 7.3 IDI Diesel.
HoosierB
**Forum Contributor**

Post by HoosierB »

I thought about using "Starboard" for panel/wall replacement. Available thru most marinas and boating supply sources, it's marine construction quality, moisture resistant, and a very rigid material. My remodel plans will use it for the new closet walls, new galley back wall and fridge enclosures instead of ply or MDF. While somewhat expensive, Starboard is proven to be virtually indestructible and impervious to extreme weather conditions. Most of these panels will be covered with new wallpaper. I will use the original solid oak door fronts and a MDF "oak" panel for the cabinet framing. FYI: In another post, I mentioned the "Oak" look MDF (panels, trim, boards) from Dakota brand (Country Oak). It offers the closest match to the Chinook OEM "oak" I could find.
King Starboard:
https://www.boatoutfitters.com/cut-to-s ... -starboard

Blue-Go... welcome your thoughts on using "Starboard"?
"Wanda" – '01 Chinook Concourse XL V10
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I've used plenty of Starboard in boating, and not to sound like a know-it-all (cause I'm not), I wouldn't even think of using it for walls.

Reasons:

1) Heavy, and bendy for its weight.
2) Creeps under load
3) Basically nothing sticks to it
4) If exposed, gets dirty and impossible to clean

To me the main plusses are:

1) Relatively impervious to weather
2) Easy to work (cut/shape)

I don't really see the benefits as being very important for Chinook interior walls (if I have that much water coming in, I have other problems; and cutting and shaping plywood or other wall materials is not difficult).

Just my opinion. I don't end up using it for much even on boats. But for some things it is handy (for example, I have used it for a sacrificial mount point for transducers, and also for a "bread board" for electrical components).
1999 Concourse
HoosierB
**Forum Contributor**

Post by HoosierB »

Blue~Go wrote:I've used plenty of Starboard in boating, and not to sound like a know-it-all (cause I'm not), I wouldn't even think of using it for walls.

Thanks BG! I'll go with that advice. Now I don't need to replace my nicely done plywood wall mockups with Starboard.
You just saved me a whole lot of extra work... and money.
"Wanda" – '01 Chinook Concourse XL V10
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Glad I could be of assistance -- just let me know whenever it'd be convenient to have me rain on your parade :lol:

(For real though: I always find it interesting to consider new materials or new ways of using things. Bring it on :))
1999 Concourse