Custom Ford badge (changed to Chinook)

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
kdarling

Custom Ford badge (changed to Chinook)

Post by kdarling »

Or more correctly, covering the stock Ford badge. The blue seemed out of place, and besides, I had some spare time a coupla weekends ago ;)

First I removed the badge (two nuts) and drew duplicate shapes using MS Paint on my PC. I printed them out on trash paper just to check the size.

Then I customized them in several shades of grey, and printed three variations on a sheet of flexible peel and stick vinyl printing paper I got on eBay.

Choosing my favorite, I cut it out and mounted it over the original Ford emblem. A thin piece of shiny black duct tape served as a border. Later I also added a layer of clear wide packing tape as further protection from the elements. It's done fine through storms and washes since then.
image.jpeg
You could also make a duplicate from wood, and do something cool with that.
1994 Concourse dinette, Ford 7.5L (460 V8)
SMan

Re: Custom Ford badge (changed to Chinook)

Post by SMan »

I like it. Very clever!
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

Thank you, Steve.

You're always supportive of my insanity, and I appreciate that, truly!

Kev

:D
dougm

Post by dougm »

What headlights are those? They arent OEM headlights, do they fit properly or any issues?
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

Headlights came from eBay. About $75 the pair, I think. Search for "econoline headlights led". There's a cool black version as well, which would look great on a later model with the dark grey hood Millenium paint job.

I got them to replace the awful $30 set I originally bought which threw rainbows instead of usable light :)

I wired the new headlights' built-in LED running lights to the adjacent front parking lights. So now I often run in daylight using just those LEDs, without the actual headlights having to be on.
image.jpeg
Putting them in was the usual Econoline pain, where it should've been super easy, but the lock tabs just didn't want to click into place at first. Eventually it occurred to me to tap the tabs with a hammer and then they went right in.

Note the Zep floor wax hood shine, btw, nearly a year after application. Love that stuff.
Last edited by kdarling on August 9th, 2017, 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

kdarling wrote:...
I got them to replace the awful $30 set I originally bought which threw rainbows instead of usable light :)
I got suckered into those on my previous Ford campervan. "Lookout: Unicorn coming!" Geesh, they were horrible.
1999 Concourse
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

kdarling wrote:Headlights came from eBay. About $75 the pair, I think. Search for "econoline headlights led". There's a cool black version as well, which would look great on a later model with the dark grey hood Millenium paint job.

I wired the new headlights' built-in LED running lights to the adjacent front parking lights. So now I often run in daylight using just those LEDs, without the actual headlights having to be on.
image.jpeg
Putting them in was the usual Econoline pain, where it should've been super easy, but the lock tabs just didn't want to click into place at first. Eventually it occurred to me to tap the tabs with a hammer and then they went right in.
Couple questions: I ordered those black version headlights you kindly sent me the link to and they look pretty cool. From the picture I thought the side, turn signal lights were part of the purchase. When I got the package they only had the headlights. From what you know, was it part of the package? I emailed the company and instead of answering my question they sent another pair of headlights that are different. So now I have 4 headlights and they haven't asked for the originals back. I'm going to email them again, picture of the ad included and see what they say. Who knows, I might end up with 6 lights by the time this is all over...
Next question: For the LED daytime running lights that are built-in, did you purchase a DRL harness or just wire 'em up with your own wire?
Last question: I've been watching some Youtube videos on removing the headlights but was wondering since you did it, do you have a description on here where you explained the process? I think it would be easier to understand on here.
Thanks!
'02 Concourse where there's always a project going on...
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

So that others can find the info in the future, let's move the headlight discussion to its own thread.

I'll start one later today, with some pics.

Edit: okay, see the thread titled, "Headlight Lens Replacement 1992-"

Kev
Last edited by kdarling on August 13th, 2017, 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

Btw, there was no way that the steering wheel badge would escape, not after doing the hood :lol:
wheel badges
wheel badges
On my Ford, the badge is held on from its back middle, which meant that I could pry up the edge all the way around, under which I could fold the new label border.

For the new label, I printed out the hood drawings, but scaled down. I also inceased the size of the black border, just to make it less likely for any white to show around edges.

Printing was done on plain paper this time, with some clear packing tape put on top afterwards. Then the new label was cut out, leaving about a quarter inch of border that could be tucked under the steering wheel badge while it was still in place. Tiny slits cut around the edges helped with the curved corner folding, and a tiny flat blade screwdriver helped push the folds behind.
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

Continuing the theme of adding Chinook badges...

I'd always wished that I'd bought my dash mat from a place that also offered embroidered text. Some people might put their name, or the nickname for their RV. I wanted to somehow have a duplicate of the fender Concourse label.

I started looking around, Googling for "embroidery" near me. Turns out there are plenty of computerized embroidery places... even in mall center walk shops... who will add letters at about $1.50 each more or less. So that's one option.

Then I ran across an eBayer who does $5 (if order > 1) custom shirt name tags and I got an idea. I ordered a test Chinook label (see my particular color/font order details in the eBay pic). Took about a week to arrive in a plain envelope.
embroidery label
embroidery label
Photos are just temporarily press sticking the sample one on my dashmat and seat cover to see what they'll look like before I buy more and sew them on. Cheap customization ;)